Galvanized 21 Massey Combine Picture For CLTX

1206SWMO

The top picture is a galvanized 21 Massey at a show in Canada.Its missing the air intake and has a pickup attachment..If anyone finds a galvanized 21 or 21-A they'd better be buying it because they are few and far between.

The bottom picture is a very rare 20 Massey at the same show.You can see the 21 to the right of it.I think they are at the Sukanen show in Saskatchewan.
1940-Massey-Harris-Model-21.jpg

20MHcombine-Sukanen-1.jpg

I did some searching and these combines are at the Sukanen Ship Museum located 8 miles south of Moose Jaw.Heres their website.It looks like it would be an interesting place to visit.
Sukanen

Thanks a million, I really appreciate it. I mentioned that Dad had modified it by putting rice tires and an electric lift on it. I remember the tires being 15-38's (old measurement). It's obvious that the header must have been moved ahead and the radiator possibly raised a little. The lower front part of the radiator shroud (not shown) had been recessed to allow the tire to clear.

Those are some neat looking machines .Such a shame that no one thought to save somemore of this old iron.I know my Grandfather and Dad as well have feed the scrap monster.Thanks for posting pictures

I see that the galvanized 21 has the canvas table, as did ours. When did the 21A (with auger) come out? Did they discontinue the canvas, or was it an option?

Thats a good question.I have Massey combine sales literature dated 2-41 that shows a Model 20 and galvanized 21 on the front cover.Theres no mention of a 21-A but I'm guessing one was soon available.

I have Massey combine sales literature dated 7-45 that shows a red 21-A on the cover.It shows a 21 canvas machine on page 2 but nothing is mentioned of a 21 canvas on the specification page.The specs are for a 21-A..At that point the platform was still manual lift.

I have Massey combine sales literature dated 9-48 that shows both the 21 and 21-A along with the new 26 Massey combine.Electric platform lift was available at that time.

So it looks like that for most of the 21 Massey production run you had your choice of either a 21 canvas or 21-A auger machine.I'll guarantee you that a 21 auger machine is 10 times easier to find than a 21 canvas machine.

Pictured above are my 21 and 21-A Massey combines.
wv1rup.jpg

5l9cu9.jpg

1206, thanks for sharing these wonderful machines from your collection. Might you have any idea what percentage of the MH 21s were galvanized, or painted? Any way of finding out? Thanks, again.

What years are your 21 and 21A?

Didn't all MH have the external chain drive up to the 27L?

Are those airplane tires on the 21A?

And finally, thank you for the pictures and for all your time to answer my questions. C.L.

I dont have serial # lists for the 21 series Masseys so all that I can tell you is that mine are somewhere from 1941-1949 models,probably late 1940's..

Yes, all Masseys were chain drive thru the Super 26's and Super 27's.

Yes,those are airplane tires on the 21-A.These were quite common in my area in the 1950's and 1960's.Had a neighbor with bomber tires on a 26 Massey and another with them on a 82 Massey.

Thanks,glad to help.

My Dad told me he had a neighbor with a MH 21 and he would hook the canvasses together and take out the end plate on the header to use for a swather. Dad would hire him to swath feed.

Steve,I'm guessing that only a very-very small percentage of 21 Masseys were ever galvanized and that they were most likely only built during the war years when production numbers were low.

I have never personally seen one but have heard rumors of one in SW Kansas.If you find one dont hesitate to buy it.I have a Massey Clipper SP that has some galvanized tin.

Have you bought gotten any combines bought?

I think those are B-29 tires. Dad bought some, but never made any rims for them, guess they went on the burn pile. The original 21 tires went on an auger wagon (grain cart). He was going to replace them with the airplane tires, but wound up using 15-38s.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back