Garden Plowing

El Toro

I plowed the garden this morning. The barley cover crop was getting tall and it will have a chance to die before planting. They're calling for rain tonight and into tomorrow. The v bar tire chains that I gave $9.00 for didn't do much slipping on the barley. I paid $12.00 for a 100 lbs of that barley I think every grain sprouted. I planted my pepper & tomato seed a week ago and some are up. Hal

How well does the barley compost when plowed under. When can you plant on that ground and not have a bunch of buried stalks to deal with.
We've got 1015 onions & red onions with 14 inch leaves, hope the bulbs are going as well. Red beets are up with 6-7 inch leaves, carrots up too with 4-5 inch leaves. Wife planted potatoes last week. Hoping that despite the bugs, deer and rabbits we'll get something out of it.

Good deal Hal, I like to watch for you're gardening activity, good reference and timing to start mine !

I could til right now, a bit wet, with the rain coming, but its decent soil, drains well, won't be long. I will have to start some peppers and a few other things, then hit the greenhouse for the other things. One thing is for sure, the winter seems to be letting up and it will be time to get busy shortly !

Where on earth do you live? We have snow filled ditches causing the 1.5ins of rain we got to overflow out into the fields and run!

Thats great! I did some planted in the raised beds here in nj,planted sugar peas,onion sets ,lettuce and spinach , and radishes,A little early,but I like to try it,I cover it with corrogated plastic panels for a while,we see what happens,,, Good luck with your garden post pictures as it grows

You all should really go to your profile section and put in your location. We're just starting mud season here. The garden is 6 weeks away at the earliest.

Well thanks to my 2 bottom plow purchase last fall I was able to get my little plot in shape. I never got the disc, but since the weather was starting to warm up, I uhh, well, I dropped the tines on my box blade and tilted it really far forward and got after it. ;) Maybe not the traditional way but my schedule 90 sweet corn is in the ground already.

Last night I made my neighbor pretty darn happy by breaking his ground for him with the workmaster and the 2 bottom plow.

I was really disappointed with my 641 after finding out it is to fast for a roto tiller but I'm starting to change my mind about that and I'm happy with the results so far. I'm having fun.

(quoted from post at 08:25:29 03/12/13)

I was really disappointed with my 641 after finding out it is to fast for a roto tiller but I'm starting to change my mind about that and I'm happy with the results so far. I'm having fun.

If you ever split it,consider adding a Sherman. You will never want a red belly without it once you use it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back