Vegie garden starting to look like something

Adirondack case guy

Had a terrible time getting seeds to germinate and plants to stay alive this year. We don't plant gardens in these parts until Memorial Day.
Core came up good, but robins pulled it as soon as two leaves showed. Had to replant near half of it. Had no pea seeds germinate on first planting, bought treated seed, and got about 60% germination. Planted beans twice with only a couple seeds germinating. Bought some treated seed and got a very irregular germination. Some seeds sprouted in about 10 days and some sprouted a week later. Had to plant the squash a second time also.
Green house plants didn't do much better. Lost 5 of 12 mator plants, 7 of 12 cauliflower plants, 3 of a dozen pepper plants. Bought more and replanted them 2 weeks later. Suprisingly the broccoli and cabbage thrived, as did all the volunteer dill. We have pulled bushels of it and tossed it. Unfortunately the cuks for pickling are way behind the dill.
All I can figure is that we had no sun in late May and June, and soil was cold, wet, and soggy, even being in raised beds.
a165825.jpg

a165826.jpg

a165827.jpg

a165828.jpg

a165831.jpg

a165832.jpg

a165833.jpg

a165834.jpg

a165835.jpg

a165836.jpg

a165837.jpg

a165838.jpg

Hey adarondack case,
Nice pics. Just a quick question for ya. What are you using for fertilizer on the tomatoes.

With all the rain we have had mine are growing about 6 inches a day, having to tie them up every other day but the plants are not bushy like yours are.

We sent soil sample to university for testing at the beginning of the year and it came back that it was in pretty good shape and did not need any special attention. It's a established garden of 6 years now so the soil has been worked regularly for a while and amended with compost and manure.

When I planted I worked a lil 5-3-3 into each hole then after about two weeks or so I did a side dressing of 10-10-10, they are putting on height like crazy but just kinda wispy and not bushy.

Thanks

Nice looking garden, wish mine looked that nice.

Reading about soil samples reminds me of the joke : we sent in soil samples on our farm. Got the results, it said MOVE!

Swell looking pictures/. Son weeded the garden and almost all came up. He sure was busy as a one arm paper hanger LOL. He is on the way to town for stuff for supper, then we are going to put in a drain faucet had to buy a drill and tap for NPT to use<for the outdoor wood furnace,drill and tap drain plug for 1/2" fittings.Original plug is frozen so no other alternative but to do it the hard way.
Still have a ways to go for hook ups. Pumps,radiators wiring,hoses,tubing,etc. The unit was mfg,in 1995. No leaks ,so we filled it with water which took 400 gal, water was clear when we drained it,No RUST..... After all this,then comes harvest of the garden,then wood making. Son has a lot on his plate,as I am limited in helping him do the chores he is left with since the wife passed on in August.I can say my son is truly a remarkable MAN! Got to wondering if any of you folks heat with an outside wood boiler. Water temps will be at 170 degrees,enough to heat the house and garage,at 76-80 degrees inside the house and garage so that will be a blessing for us. Son will be back soon, so I best get ready to help with the drilling and taping.
Warmest regards,
LOU.

I work in a coffee can of triple 15 into each 4x12' box. Just spade it in in the plant and general seed boxes. In the corn boxes, I make a trench 5-6" deep and apply a generous band of fert. in the trench, then cover it and make a 2" trench above, and plant the corn. Once the corn gets going the roots find the fert.
Loren

I think I might have been in your part of the state Wednesday, delivering a load to Marcy. I then went south into Pennsylvania. I saw some pretty scenery, but not as nice as what I have seen from your pictures.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back