Gas disposal

JimDRIl

Member
When I lived on the farm and I had outdated gas, I'd run thru a tractor, or throw it on the burn pile. I now live in town and it's a different story to get rid of old gas, Would you run thru the car even tho mixed with oil? I'm talking small amounts, quart to a half gallon. I'm leery of screwing up the 2 year old car with the mixture. What do you guys think? Can't even have a fire in town, really miss the country but old age caught up with me, alas.
 
No, I would not run it through the car. Too much at risk.

Do you do your own oil changes? If so, dump it in with the waste oil, take it to the disposal station.

Around here every auto supply has a public access oil disposal tank. A little gas will make no difference.
 
If it's just the end of the season fuel, it would be fine in a vehicle, if it's last year or more, stinks like varnish then recycle it. Most auto parts stores have a waste oil barrel you can put it in.
 
I had a project car that had been sitting up for 15 years, with half a tank of gas in it. I drained nearly 10 gallons of the worst smelling varnished up mess you ever saw from the tank. I drained it into two 5 gallon buckets and set it out under a shed roof at the rear of the property.. in about 2 months every bit of it evaporated, buckets empty and no hassle for me.

john
 
I would not run it through a modern automotive engine even diluted if it has oil in it.

Dean
 
I would not take a chance on running it through the car. Give it to a friend or neighbor with a tractor or garden tractor and they can use it up. If you do mix it with used motor oil don?t give it to anyone with a waste oil burner unless you tell them that the gas is mixed in.
 

I just pour old mower gas and used mower oil out in a small area in the back yard, back near the fence. If you don't want to see traces of it on the surface just skim off a shallow pit then cover it back.
 
In St. Cloud Phillips Recycling will take waste gasoline for a very nominal charge. They take used engine oil for free, and antifreeze fro a nominal charge. Most medium cities have a company dedicated to that service. If the fuel is just oil mixed, and this year's, I would save it for next year with a sealed container and a dash of Stabil. If soured, it is to the recycler. Burning it to start a brush fire is OK, but pouring it out is just not in my theater of acceptable. Jim
 

Use it to melt hard to get rid of polystyrene packaging . The resulting paste is very stable and if stored in a jar is an excellent fire starter, it won't explode , just scoop out a dob with a stick . One gallon of fuel will melt a couple of barrows full of foam.
 
A small amount I would just pour it on the sidewalk and let it vaporate. it will be gone in ten minutes. Or you can do what my uncle use to do. Leave the gas in an old can out near the sidewalk. In the morning the can and gas will be gone. Back in 2002 when my step grandfather had a farm sale. All his equipment was full of 8-10 year old gas. Smelled worse than dead fish! I filled several old metal gas cans. Left them outside near the barn door. The first thing you would see after turning into the yard. It took three days for all the cans to disappear.
 

Fill the cars tank and then add a pint of that old fuel to the tank, won't hurt a thing.
A car getting 20 mpg that burns a qrt of oil per 3000 miles has a oil to fuel ratio of 600:1.
Pouring a pint of old 2 cycle fuel mix in a 16 gal tank of fuel gives it a oil to fuel ratio of 1600:1.
16 oz of old straight gas in that 16 gal tank gives a 128:1 ratio.
 
No way would I run it through a car or truck with fuel injection.
Perhaps run it through a lawn mower or tractor with a carb.
If you change your oil, mix it with used oil and take to a recycling place.
Or find someone who wants it for their brush fires.
geo
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top