Gas stuff in carb?

B T Riordan

New User
About 30 years ago Dad had retired and the A was retired to dragging the road, mowing pasture and other light duty stuff. I hauled gas for it in 5 gallon tins, using "regular" until unleaded was the only thing available. We'd always shut off the fuel to stop it, then drained the carb. It had some high compression kit in it and really didn't like to be flooded. So we'd turn on the gas and it would start when the carb filled up. Anyway, it got to running poorly on unleaded and I took off the bowl to see what things looked like in the carb. Everything inside was covered with a powdery crust evidently left when the gas on the surfaces in the drained carb dried out. After a cleanout, we went to not draining the carb and the problem never happened again.

Would this still be a problem with gas today? Are any specific brands noted for this?

Thanks!

AF70
 
I see a lot of the white powder stuff in carburetors since I'm in the business. I also see it in my tractors. After seeing a post about it recently, I switched to marine formula Sta-Bil, and am hoping for the crud to go away. I do think it is a component of this so-called gasoline that settles out when dry. As far as brands of gasoline, the same tanker services both gas stations in our town, and other towns around. And since I used to work for the tanker company, I know that all the gas comes from the same terminal facility.
 
Thanks for the info. I use some 2-cycle oil in the gas now and then and don't drain the carb. Guess I'll keep doing it that way.

AF70
 
I just got done going through the carb on my 60 again today, it too had a white powdery like substance inside, especially in the area where the gas enters from the fuel line. It has only been a few months since the last time I had it apart and cleaned it all out really well. I usually turn the fuel off and let it run dry and leave it dry until the next time I start it. I was wondering what this stuff was and where it came from. Looks like letting it run dry would leave nothing behind to create this stuff?
 
To reinforce that fact, a family friend (now deceased) sold a very popular and familar brand for many years. There are people that swore by this brand, and would not buy any other gasoline. This brand also sold a "white gas" that was higher octane and popular.
The "white gas" was the only one that came from a specific supplier. Every other nozzle was whatever he could get the cheapest and close to his chain of convenience stores.
There is no "brand" when it comes to most gasolines, even though some make you think it is "better", and you pay more per gallon.
It is as close to a scam and false advertising as you can find, but they have way too much money and political power for anything to be done about it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top