Another Bob

New User
Noted a message from Jim Hurt about his rusty gas tank.I have about the same problem on my old Model M.So,did his idea of using toilet bowl cleaner work? Has anyone else tried this method?My M starts,but sputters and runs more or less,then finally quits. The sediment bowl has junk in,so not surprsing it doesn't want to run.Cleaned the tank out with high pressure water hose, used muratic acid afterward,but little help.Once or twice,loud backfire.Is the best way to use a good tank sealer? Any suggestions are appreciated.
 
That stuff works great... I used some stuff like that on my 65 Dodge Polara gas tank 8 years ago. The tank was so nasty that it would clog a filter in 10 miles. To get the rust out I did what my college auto shop teacher told me. "fill the tank the rocks and turn it every way but loose". It knocked the rust out.

Last year the tank on my 1980 Mercedes 300TD started leaking. A new one was out of the question ($900). I took to a place here in Detroit that used some sort of epoxy and it worked great.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top