Gauge knock outs from Dash

JGarner

While I was reading through these posts I thought of something. Anybody that is replacing a dash (SW or Autolite instrument cluster versions) on their COM machines with one from a dry clutch model and knocking out the sheet metal plug for the gauges, I need one for my 630 dash. I have a dry clutch version somebody stuck an after market ammeter in when they let the original cluster get wet and go bad. I can tack it into my dash with 3 small weld spots or hard solder to plug the hole. That hole sure looks ugly there rignt next to Roger's beatifully restored gauge cluster. This piece would fit in a mailing envelope. My e-mail is open so just mail me and I will send address. Anyone up for helping a Case guy out??

JHeitkemper came up with a solution which I may pursue if I can't find a knock out disk.

Jim G.

My neighbor tells me there is a thing called a goof plug. This is what he called them. Thay are made like a hole cover for a electrical box. I have been looking for some for my Case tractors. My panels look bad with a cluster rebuilt by Rodger H. and a round open hole next to it. Does anyone know where to get them if thay exist? Thank you.
Gary

I have seen them on the dash"s of fork lift trucks. I have not ever purchased them. Maybe this might help you.
Good luck.
Brian

I would be looking for a common knockout plug like the one at the link. Don't need to weld and they have different style surfaces like flat, domed, etc.

I bought some at an old hardware store that fit and look just like the original plugs used for the bell housing timing hole for my 300's.

Joe
KO plugs

All good suggestions that I have already explored, but I was looking to go back to the factory look. There are a number of places on the Web that sell these snap in plugs like are on the brake cover and the dry clutch Torque tube (Loews even sells them up to about 1 3/4" dia).

Back to my old question/request, if anyone is converting a dry clutch dash to work on the COM model, remember me when you poke out those knock out plugs (before you drop them in your trash can). Drop me an e-mail and I will send snail mail address.

Thanks all for feedback.

I have a complete dash out of a 300. It will be a couple of days before i see it again but i will lokk and see if the knock outs are still in it

Don't knock them out and ruin the dash unless you are already going to use it on a COM model and need to. That was my only request, that if someone was going to knock them out and toss them on the bench to throw away later I would like to have one or two to fill the hole in my dash. A good dash is hard to find and all except the one hole that shouldn't be there I have a good solid dash.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back