Gearmatic 8A Winch

John1010c

Member
Good morning gentlemen, I just bought a
Gearmatic 8A winch for my 1010c. For the
most part it's pretty straight to the point
on how to mount it except for the long
anchor bolts on either side. Could someone
please send me pictures of your winch
installed particularly pictures of the side
anchors. I was told their should be hole
already in the side frame there. I'm not
seeing any.

I'm planning on rebuilding as complete as
possible. If you want to share any possible
pitfalls or tips it would be greatly
appreciated. Any parts diagrams out there ?

Thank you for your time, John S.
 

Parts for Gearmatic 8A winches are drying up. To the best of my knowledge there are no new parts for the controller. It uses brake fluid, not oil. It is basically two master cylinders facing each other. Pull back on the handle and the clutch cylinder expands the clutch shoe winding cable in. Push forward on the handle and the brake cylinder moves expanding and releasing the brake band to allow free spooling. The cups and springs can be matched to common brake cylinder parts. The controller housing, handle, shaft, push rods and pistons (the hard parts) are NLA Gearmatic parts. you will need to search for used.
Some guys have made their own controllers using two master cylinders. I believe the brake and clutch bands and their cylinders can be hard to find.

Lavoy Wilcox, at JDcrawlers dot com, may have some parts and info. His phone number is on his home page. He might have a picture or two as he works on the older JD crawlers.

A few people have copies of the manual and will offer to email a pdf copy, if they see your post.

Gearmatic is now a part of PACCAR Winch.
 
Re: 8A Gearmatic winch: I'm also looking for some of those hard-to-find parts. Namely, the entire brake actuator assembly.

I've got what appears to be an 8A that is in reasonably good shape, but the entire brake actuator assembly is missing. Prior owner had just run a rod down and bolted it to the brake assembly and with a nut on the top kept the brake for the most part disengaged. It would seem that this would render the winch totally ineffective, except for emergency purposes (i.e., the machine gets stuck). Am I right or wrong on this?

Otherwise, aside from replacing the bearings that have rusted from sitting so long, the unit, including the brake and clutch linings, appears.
Thoughts?
 
Re: 8A Gearmatic winch: I'm also looking for some of those hard-to-find parts. Namely, the entire brake actuator assembly.

I've got what appears to be an 8A that is in reasonably good shape, but the entire brake actuator assembly is missing. Prior owner had just run a rod down and bolted it to the brake assembly and with a nut on the top kept the brake for the most part disengaged. It would seem that this would render the winch totally ineffective, except for emergency purposes (i.e., the machine gets stuck). Am I right or wrong on this?

Otherwise, aside from replacing the bearings that have rusted from sitting so long, the unit, including the brake and clutch linings, appears.
Thoughts?
In general, you are better served to start a new thread of your own, than to tag onto an old thread. Too often people will read the first post in a thread and start replying to the original poster, instead of you the late comer.

You have posted about this on jdcrawlers.com and I gave you a link to a manual. No harm in asking about parts here however have you called Lavoy Wilcox, owner of the jdcrawlers site, and asked what he might have for parts? His business is repairs and parts for the older JD crawlers.
 
In general, you are better served to start a new thread of your own, than to tag onto an old thread. Too often people will read the first post in a thread and start replying to the original poster, instead of you the late comer.

You have posted about this on jdcrawlers.com and I gave you a link to a manual. No harm in asking about parts here however have you called Lavoy Wilcox, owner of the jdcrawlers site, and asked what he might have for parts? His business is repairs and parts for the older JD crawlers.
And, huge thanks for the link to the manual.
 
And, huge thanks for the link to the manual.
I’d love to get a copy of that 8A manual. I I have a 430c with an 8A. Here are some photos of the long mounting bolts. this is a 430c not a 1010. hope that helps
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
We had a C4 Tree Farmer with the Gearmatic and as noted the rubber parts in the control and slave cylinders can be sourced from older truck and automotive equipment. I forget which Chevrolet truck master cylinder had the correct parts. I believe it was a 1963 C60.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top