Generator exhaust

So the CO levels did not rise in the house ? Nobody, anywhere at anytime , never gassed themselves ?
obviously not, as them old log houses were not that air tight and the door was opened and closed a lot from hauling water into the house along with wood and coal. the budgie didnt die either.

obviously not, as them old log houses were not that air tight and the door was opened and closed a lot from hauling water into the house along with wood and coal. the budgie didnt die either.
Several family members are Emergency Responders or EMS. Too many stories about victims who did not fare well with their improvised installations .

If people are getting killed by a generator running outside the house with a window cracked for a cord it makes me wonder why people who live beside busy freeways are not dying by the 1000s?? 6 generator HP vs 1000s upon 1000s of HP all day long and over night and 200 feet away ???

Cars driving create huge turbulence behind them. This turbulence thoroughly mixed the exhaust with ambient air. This instantly dilutes the CO level below lethal. Any distance traveled after that further dilutes it.

Generators involved in poisonings are typically just too close to a point of entrance to an occupied space. Proximity along with air flow that allows the exhaust to enter. There are lots of poisonings reported but huge numbers are used very safely every year.

Unfortunately, there are lots of people who are not very bright. It is too bad their families have to pay the price.

If people are getting killed by a generator running outside the house with a window cracked for a cord it makes me wonder why people who live beside busy freeways are not dying by the 1000s?? 6 generator HP vs 1000s upon 1000s of HP all day long and over night and 200 feet away ???
Apples and Oranges

Not even a remotely accurate comparison, and you proved it right in your own statement. The highway is 200' away. The generator is directly under the window right next to the house. If you parked just one of those cars under an open window right next to the house and left it running for hours, it would kill you just as dead as that "6 generator HP." As if HP has anything to do with it.

Not even a remotely accurate comparison, " As if HP has anything to do with it.
So in other words your saying that 1000 cars and trucks per hour with say average 200 HP and 200,000 total HP has the same emissions as 1 6HP generator? That's laughable!

I asked a question, why doesn't all that exhaust make people sick who drive in it or live beside it??

Last edited:
So in other words your saying that 1000 cars and trucks per hour with say average 200 HP and 200,000 total HP has the same emissions as 1 6HP generator? That's laughable!

I asked a question, why doesn't all that exhaust make people sick who drive in it or live beside it??
It does make people sick. There is research that shows kids in congested cities have low levels of CO. Enough to affect their intellectual performance.

One year my classroom was in front of the building. No air conditioning. We always had the windows open. The buses would line up at dismissal time. It the wind was right the exhaust would come in the windows and make some of the kids nauseous. I got them to stop idling the buses, that stopped that problem.

In your example of cars on the highway the turbulence and the 200' distance if enough to disperse the CO. I am sure you do notice the fumes when you are stuck in traffic. Especially in a long tunnel.

It does make people sick. There is research that shows kids in congested cities have low levels of CO. Enough to affect their intellectual performance.

One year my classroom was in front of the building. No air conditioning. We always had the windows open. The buses would line up at dismissal time. It the wind was right the exhaust would come in the windows and make some of the kids nauseous. I got them to stop idling the buses, that stopped that problem.

In your example of cars on the highway the turbulence and the 200' distance if enough to disperse the CO. I am sure you do notice the fumes when you are stuck in traffic. Especially in a long tunnel.
We live close to a busy road in the summer, we don't have any mosquitos!

And there is the answer,, thank you Hemmjo.
While I would never advocate running a generator inside or near an open window the fact of the matter is we ALL live with varying levels of carbon monoxide. When I was a kid we travelled the Pa. turnpike back when the tunnels had two-way traffic. Every time everyone in the car got headaches and sick to thier stomach due to exhaust build up. I get that way when stuck in heavy traffic also. There is no more reason to be afraid of a generator running outside the house than mowing the lawn,, unless the person is goofy enough to have it upwind by an open window. 99% of automatic home generator installations are right against the house and the exhaust goes where?

While I would never advocate running a generator inside or near an open window the fact of the matter is we ALL live with varying levels of carbon monoxide. When I was a kid we travelled the Pa. turnpike back when the tunnels had two-way traffic. Every time everyone in the car got headaches and sick to thier stomach due to exhaust build up. I get that way when stuck in heavy traffic also. There is no more reason to be afraid of a generator running outside the house than mowing the lawn,, unless the person is goofy enough to have it upwind by an open window. 99% of automatic home generator installations are right against the house and the exhaust goes where?
Most auto start gensets are installed well away from doors or windows . And are fueled with LP or NG .

WNYBill,

Is any one have a fan to help the exhaust out? I am thinking maybe a low noise one , like a computer fan?
Guido.
A draft inducer for a small engine exhaust needs to be heat proof. The Example is what could be used to get rid of the exhaust, but would need an enclosure and not be subjected to 12oo degrees. Probably a method of pulling in room air with the exhaust. But it also requires electricity!
I think a protected double pipe that is 2X the the engine exhaust diameter with a metal wall through would be reasonable. Jim

One type

If I may point out a few things, consider:
Car exhaust has been cleaned up to the point that normal emission testing equipment as found in repair facilities is no longer capable of measuring it. The exhaust is so low in HC and CO emissions that the older emission testers cannot measure it.
As compared to a generator with basically no emission controls that emits a lot of HC and CO. Then distance comes into play.
Regarding the turnpike tunnels, back when those tunnels were built, cars had really "dirty" exhaust. Just following a 1950s car too closely would give you a headache - let alone inside a tunnel. Not so much on today's cars.

Definitely apples and oranges.

No, I'm saying a 6HP generator blowing its exhaust directly into a house's window is WORSE than a road full of polluting cars and trucks 200' away.

You clearly demonstrate that you understand the difference, yet conveniently ignore it here to "win" some argument that can only be going on inside your head.

Welcome to my ignore list.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back