Generator Removal for 420 John Deere

How does one remove the generator on a 1956 John Deere 420?
Larry Kastens
I am guessing you are asking about the front and rear generator pivots, the two wires and adjusting lock capscrew are same as many others. If I am remembering correctly (been a number of years since my 430 went away) the front pivot cap screw threads into what looks like a coupling nut with a stud in it that is in the rear pivot. Loosen (and remove if you want but not necessary) the nuts at the back of the rear generator pivot. Hold that "coupling nut" and back the front pivot cap screw out of it, you should be able to turn the deep nut and hold the front capscrew head if you want. remove the front pivot capscrew and lift the generator out. The coupling nut/rear pivot stud remain in the back pivot ear of the generator until after the generator is removed. Do not forget to put it back in before installing the generator.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back