generator to alternator conversion

I have a Case 530CK 12 volt diesel tractor with a bad generator. I would like to convert it to an alternator. I have the Delco 2-wire generator with regulator. Does anyone know if there's a conversion kit, or does anyone have info on wiring it with a Ford two wire alternator with an external regulator?
 
Would not be hard to wire up if you could look at a wiring Dia. in a Motors repair manual. Go to the library and see if they got a 1971 Motors manual.
Makes a difference if your Case has a idiot light or a Amp Ga.
 
Hello Tractorjim530.
I would get a single wire alternator. Its the easiest to install , 1 wire to the battery and a ground to the engine if needed.
I would also install a volt meter, if you don't have one, to monitor the battery state of charge.
Amp meter is useless if you have one, Its an idiot ligth with a hand indicator.
Guido.
 
I'll agree with the first part but not the last. Nothing wrong with plumbing an ammeter between the only wire from your one wire alternator and the battery. I have/have-had several tractors set up like that. Ammeters read dc amperes. Doesn't matter if it's straight dc from a generator (which isn't really straight) or rectified AC (pulsating dc) from an alternator.

Mark
 
Hello Texasmark.
I have not seem an ampmeter in vehicles for years as an oem istallation. I can tell you that is better to know what voltage/potential the battery has that how much charge is going into
it.The amp meter is telling you the charge rate not what the battery is accepting or storing as potential capacity. Volts or potential are used to express the battery condition.
So I'll stick to my explanation.
Guido.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top