Getting this rebuilt injector pump installed, Deere 2640

jeepwm69

New User
Got my rebuilt injector pump in for my 2640.

Engine is still at TDC from when I removed it. Pump slot for the head of the shaft is at around 11 oclock on the pump, and the shaft looks like it would go up in there cleanly.

Problem is, it won t.

I ve watched this guy, but he rattles his around at about the 15 min mark, and then cuts the camera off, only to come back with it in place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fU_hGKX5LVM

Is there some trick I m missing, or do I just need to "hold my mouth right"?

This post was edited by jeepwm69 on 07/10/2022 at 06:43 pm.

When the injection pump came back from repair, was it's throttle lever wired in place (perhaps by the wires on a tag)?

If so, and you removed it before installing the shaft parts of the governor MAY have moved out of place.

If they HAVE, it would be best to consult a pro, if you get rough and things don't go together properly the engine can ''run wild'' at startup.

If you have the driveshaft out of the engine it should have been sent along with the pump, and installed by the rebuilder, IMHO.

Dots line up, throttle was and still is wired back, and I got umbrella seals installed and am making sure they aren t lipped/flipped

It looks like it should just slide right on but it doesn t want to go that last 1/2".

Guy in the video was very specific about not using the nuts to pull it in place, so should it smoothly/ easily kinda pop into place when it goes?

Like I said, I have a feeling it s a "gotta hold your mouth right" thing, but I fought it for two hours yesterday and can t get the dang thing to slide up all the way,

Fought with it more this morning, and was almost certain that the shaft was in the slot in the pump. The nose on the flange was extremely tight going into the hole in the gear casing, so after rotating the pump back and forth, and watching the timing mark move with the movement of the pump (which led me to believe the shaft was in the slot) I put a nut on the top stud and pulled the pump flange up to the casing. It pulled into place easily and once it was seated against the case I could rotate the pump to align the timing marks in the window, which I did, and then tighten down the mounting nuts.

I got everything else attached to the pump, and loosely attached the lines to the injectors to bleed the system.

Pumped on it for about 10 mins and ran out of time, so will finish bleeding the system after work today and see if it fires up.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back