Glad I called dealer

Geo-TH,In

Well-known Member
About too much oil in truck. Dealer said to bring it by tomorrow. He will remove excess oil. Next time I get a free oil change. Next time will be the last time dealer ever see me or any of my vehicles again. I'll change oil myself. Only reason I let dealer service was when vehicles were new and under warranty.

Dealer also said the person responsible no longer works there. Go figure why?
 
You have way too much time on your hands. Find a hobby. I think they call it making a mountain out of a mole hill.
 
I think you have more time on your hands to complain about me. You need to find a hobby too.
 
I think he has every right to complain. A dealer is supposed to have trained people you can trust. I have fifty years working on generators,control systems and engines. I am no longer able to do some of the things I used to. So I have to trust others to help me. I got lucky and found a guy that does what he says he will.five years now and he has never failed me
 
Oil changes at any dealership or repair shop are going to be done by the least experienced person they have. Your sure not going to have your top mechanic doing low profit oil changes. So if you going to have Bubba doing it why not just do it yourself???? Most of us are better than Bubba. Well I will admit to that being MOST days. LOL Some days Bubba might beat me anymore.
 
I too have had the dealer over fill my car when they did it. I don't know why ? I got good at using my midivac and sucking it out thru the dipstick tube. I like them right on the full mark. I also agree with the problem of finding someone you can trust. I too am getting older and wonder how long I want to keep messing with my own car. So far wifes car has been to the dealer for everything. Even got the tires there, paid a little more for them but it makes for a one stop oil change and free tire rotation.
 
I usually run my vehicles and equipment a bit OVER the full mark. Ain't hurt one yet. I once had a customer come to my shop. She came in to get her broken off dipstick removed and have her oil changed. I replaced the broken dipstick and then drained 6 GALLONS of oil from her engine. She had been adding oil every few days so she would not run low. The car was fine after the oil change.
 
probably better off, all but 1 of my fleet was probably made before most guys were born that are working in these shops today , these trucks are all paid for and in good shape and do what i want them to, and i do everything myself, that way i know it got done, especially greasing them, all mine have fittings everywhere, the winch truck has 52 just by itself, plus all the gear boxes to check, no lube guy is going to spend that much time on 1 truck, the rest are about the same dump, ect all grease everywhere chassis and body
 
If the dealer wasn't alerted to mishaps like this he wouldn't be aware of what his employees are doing. This is not a big mishap by any means but it still happened and the dealer's reputation is reflected by the quality of the work his people do. It sounds like this employee was making other mistakes too if he had already been let go.
 
I have to agree with a few comments already made . You need to lighten up .. it's not the end of the world. I think the dealer is taking care of it for you and he has taken care of the problem that caused it. As far as running over full it won't hurt anything at that amount. I don't touch my vehicles for services they are all serviced at the dealership. As for my heavy equipment and farm tractors they all are over full by 1 1/2 quarts . The reason is called hillside work... my dad owned heavy equipment.. my grandfather owned heavy equipment.. they did it I do it have for years and will continue to as long as I own them . I might also add I've never had a problem. It will be ok!
 
Yes, the dealer should have had someone well trained and caring enough that your truck was not over filled.

That said, there is no harm done, he is making it right, and giving you a free service.

I would likely give them another chance.

Yes, I do all of my own services aside from the free ones that come with a new vehicle, but such is irrelevant to this thread.

Dean
 
(quoted from post at 11:44:20 09/05/17) You have way too much time on your hands. Find a hobby. I think they call it making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Just look at his post count vs date joined.
That says it all.
Tom
 
He's just following the lead of others, that's what is becoming more of the norm on this site. Less tractor and ag related, more complaining about, well, everything.....
 
I always look under the hood of my truck before I leave the dealership after an oil change. One time I saw that they left the oil filler cap off the engine. I prompty brought it to the dealers attension. Just have the shop check your oil level on the dip stick in front of you before you leave from now on.
 
I do all my service work, but on my company vehicle I am required to take it in for service and that includes oil changes. The local place that changes the oil will not let me leave with out verifying the oil is full. Yes, they pull the dip stick out and show it to you. They are covering their butts.

I am for sure they were burned a time or two because of human error. Live and learn and understand that no one is perfect; that includes you and me.
 
I agree ,this is a ag/ tractor related forum only,

but this is getting good!lol


Anyone else wanna cry about anything to the whole world ?

I thought that's what tales was for?I expect it there
 
Don't worry about the tech who "no longer works here" ......... and by the way, I doubt he got fired. He's likely working down the street and getting a buck more per hour for a wage.
 
I've been registered on this site for eleven years.
This forum has always been pretty open as to what
is discussed here.
Then you'll get someone whining "There's too much
off topic", "So and So post's too much off topic",
" Why don't the Administrators do something about
the off topic's"
But if you research their post's, they usually have
a bunch of "Off Topic's" to their credit.
So if you don't like the "Off Topic"s" DON"T READ THEM!!!
Life is too short to get your nnalert in a bunch over
something that your not being forced to read.
Peace and God Bless.

Steve A W
 
I called the dealer because I wanted him to know he had help that was
incompetent. The teck could never get the miles on sticker to be 3k more.

I also learned never trust someone to work on my vehicles. And if I let dealer
do some work, I'll double check it. I'll do all my service work in future
unless I buy another new vehicle. Then I'll let dealer do service work, so
dealer has no excuse if something needs fixed.

I wonder if Kim died and put a BOY in charge of being cyber police?

Look at the number of Off Topics on YT. So why did mine offend some here?? It
was a follow up to yesterdays post.
 
Tom,
I didn't know someone counts how many times I posted on YT or when I became a
member. Really couldn't care either. Don't see the importance.
 
Speaking of off topic posts here...
Ever notice that a lot of OT posts are the ones that get the Most replies?
As for the oil change: Dealers have been doing my oil changes for 25 years. If they put an extra quart in and I got the next change for free I sure wouldn't whine about it.
 

George, yesterday I posted to the effect that you were making too much of nothing. Today I am posting that you are an A$$ if you quit this dealer after he made a good effort to make things right with you.
 
How much over full was it?

Reminds me of dad's neighbor. He was a first time JD model A owner. Removed the wrong plug and drained the transmission instead of the crankcase. Then tried to put ten gallons back in in the crankcase! He had oil running out everywhere! Dad still laughs about that.

I use to service cars,truck,tractors. Everyone had their own idea as to how much oil they wanted. Had an old farmer that was a Ford man right down to his lawnmower. He insisted all his engines be over full in case he got a leak.

Had an old widow lady insisted her oil be exact on the full mark. If it wasn't you heard about. Or if a drop of oil from her car got on her garage floor.

Then there was old Roy who read somewhere too much oil could ruin your engine. He wanted his car and pickup to be half a quart low at all times.

Glad I don't do that any more. Found out it is impossible to please everyone.
 
Assuming it was a one time mistake. When I was with GM, one of the monkeys that did oil changes couldn't seem to grasp the concept of tightening an oil filter instead of just giving it a spin. Too many vehicles came back leaking oil after he'd changed oil & filter.


We finally confined him to driving the tow truck and chasing parts. He's now a supervisor at our local Oerscheln's store.
 
Well, let's face it, the reason there are so many O/T posts on Tractor Talk is because we all know that is the forum that gets the most traffic, looks and replies. Ever notice that the specific brand forums seldom if ever have an off-topic post? Same reason that many individuals post their tractor problems here regardless of make, even though there are make-specific forums where you could post your question or opinion, etc.

The webmaster is the real cause of the problem, the definition she lists for Tractor Talk reads ...... "A general discussion group focusing on any theme related to tractors". Well, if that isn't an invitation to off-topic posts, I don't know what is. "Any theme related to tractors" is of course open to interpretation by the poster and away you go. My neighbor's fence has a loose board which might fall out and if a nail is in the board, it might puncture my 9N's tire ...... hardly a valid reason for posting on Tractor Talk.

There is only one solution ..... eliminate the Tractor Talk forum and that leaves Tractor Tales as the remaining location where you can sensibly post non-tractor related items. Would I want Kim to do that? Of course not, I enjoy the forum as it is. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.
 
It was a Chrysler Concorde if I remember right. I drained it out into 2 5 gallon buckets. The engine was shaking I assume from the positions splashing in the oil. The car was fine after the oil change.
 
Back when I drove vehicles that burned/leaked a quart of oil every few hundred miles, I routinely ran them a quart over full. Most engines have close to a quart up in the block and heads when they're running, anyway. I'm not aware it caused any problems, and I felt safer running them a bit over full rather than risking running out of oil.
 
I post here a lot of times for that reason. When I open the site this is where I start. Lots of sections I never visit and would miss something that might be of importance just because I failed to hit on it.

I think they need to keep it policed like they have been doing........keeping us "in line" on our bashing....... which, in itself, is a tremendous chore and leave be.
 

Stop by your local airport and get a estimate on that job... Does anyone know what it cost to service a small air plane engine...

In my next life I am going to be a heavy equipment mechanic/shop owner. It pays straight time start to Finnish no canned jobs no elcheapo wham-bam thank you mam quick lubes on every corner to compete with. Changing oil pays the same hourly as rebuilding a transmission... Mistakes servicing a 30K engine can cost you tho...
 
(quoted from post at 15:48:22 09/05/17) Well, let's face it, the reason there are so many O/T posts on Tractor Talk is because we all know that is the forum that gets the most traffic, looks and replies. Ever notice that the specific brand forums seldom if ever have an off-topic post? Same reason that many individuals post their tractor problems here regardless of make, even though there are make-specific forums where you could post your question or opinion, etc.

The webmaster is the real cause of the problem, the definition she lists for Tractor Talk reads ...... "A general discussion group focusing on any theme related to tractors". Well, if that isn't an invitation to off-topic posts, I don't know what is. "Any theme related to tractors" is of course open to interpretation by the poster and away you go. My neighbor's fence has a loose board which might fall out and if a nail is in the board, it might puncture my 9N's tire ...... hardly a valid reason for posting on Tractor Talk.

There is only one solution ..... eliminate the Tractor Talk forum and that leaves Tractor Tales as the remaining location where you can sensibly post non-tractor related items. Would I want Kim to do that? Of course not, I enjoy the forum as it is. I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.


"The webmaster is the real cause of the problem". What problem? Why are OT posts a problem? Why does anyone put in their title that it is OT? The title tells you that it is OT, so you open it if you are interested and skip it if you are not.
 
Amen to that. One of my customers bought a used Linkbelt crane, and began letting the local dealer service it for them. The guy wound up draining the main gearbox and forgot to refill it. It didn't take long before the gearbox crapped out. That cost the dealer BIG.....

For me, I charge time and material for everything. Like you said, whether it's rebuilding an engine, or changing oil and filters, regardless of the task, it all comes with essentially the same liability of you screw up......and with heavy equipment, there is no such thing as a cheap screw up.......
 
Did you verify the battery voltage? Would the oil level have been better with an AGM or NiCad battery
 
Question: When the pacifiers are ordered for passing out here would you be happy if they were embossed with the YT logo or would you prefer various tractor brands you could choose from?
 
Bill,
Sorry, Don't plan to make it to Elnora this year. Boss is having issues with knee. Geo.
 
In mid 1995 I bought a new Chevy 1/2 ton truck three days before starting 7-12's for 2 months. It was and still is my habit to change out the oil in a new vehicle after 1000-1500 miles. I didn't have time so I took it to a Texaco quick lube place, the next day at work I had a few minutes to spare and I had a strange feeling that I should check my oil level, TWO quarts LOW!!! As soon as I could get to a place to buy oil I added two quarts and have NEVER trusted any place to change oil again. Wife bought a new Ford crew cab in 2000 that came with "free oil changes for life. Dealership shop also said they checked a lot of other things and gave a written report of it every time. When truck was 1-1.5 yrs old wife said it was running bad. I got to checking stuff and air filter was plugged up completely!!! Truck never went back to dealer!!! If I have to go behind a business to double check their work AND it's something I can do myself it's not worth the trouble even if it's FREE!!!!
 
Yep,Back in spring due to all the rain and my leaky roof in natures garage i had the goat dealership change oil on the War Dept.'s car for ten buck as i had the MO Par filter and the oil i use in the trunk. With the amount of driving the War Dept does working for Girl Scouts it does not take her long to rack up miles . Well she says hey i have 3500 on the car ya want to change the oil?? YEa i'll do it so when ya working at home ??' Ill do it then . SO i went and got filter and oil and two days later it dried up enough to go change the oil. So put the car up on the ramps put down my piece of ply wood get the drain pan my socket and 3/8 breaker bar and small filter wrench . Place socket on drain plug and give a tug and it won't come loose , Pull as hard as i can with one arm and Nope ain't happing , use both arms for everything i had and never budged it . Get up and go to the truck and get my LONG 1/2 breaker bar and a six point and back under the car and still no go with both arms pulling . It still would not break loose i had to put a cheater pipe on it and use my foot while standing . Wow Bill must have hired a Gorilla to do the quick oil changes , So back down under the car and get the plug out and if the oil plug was that tight i just know the filter is going to be fun . So i go to place the filter wrench on the filter and as i go to turn the wrench the filter moves with just me starting to bend the handle on the filter wrench so it will grab hold as it was just two fingers tight . Not the When the base hit mounting face turn filter 3/4 of a turn more . Just think of the fun i would have had if that oil filter would have started leaking and dumped all the oil while the wife was driving . I was not a happy camper by the time i was done . So i called my friend and let him know , He said that he would have a long talk with this new kid on proper installation of drain plugs and oil filers before it end up costing the dealership and engine or the replacement of oil pans.
 


Don't let these guys get'cha down George. This is a place to vent for a lot of us. Nothing wrong with that at all. I enjoy your posts, even if I don't always agree with your conclusions. Keep posting and ignore the others.
:D
 
The title tells you that it is OT, so you open it if you are interested and skip it if you are not.

There is neither an "O" nor a "T" in the topic.

For all anyone knows this could be a TRACTOR dealer he called. Only way we'd know it was about his car or whatever is if we religiously read all Geo's posts and remembered that he complained about too much oil yesterday.

Once you click, you're suckered in.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top