Gleaner E Dates

cleddy

I have a Gleaner E with factory cab and blower system on the back for side hill use to keep the grain from piling to one side.(I assume as I know nothing). How many years did they make the plain Gleaner E and about what year would mine be?

I have a Parts combine bought new in 1964 and I been taking parts off it to fix the Feeder Beater. I notice the Newer combine broke the shaft where the sprocket pins on the Feeder Beater and the 1964 model had a slip clutch on the Feeder Beater. Also the 1964 had 3/8 bolts to mount the roller and the later model went to 5/16 bolts but the plate has holes for both. They were definitly making the later machines cheaper???

Both Maachines are pretty well wore out and I need all the rubber bearings where the pins slide in and out. Any source for these any more? Since the cCombine will see little use anymore I may have to make some out of rubber or plastic.Cleddy
cvphoto103869.jpg

cvphoto103871.jpg

cvphoto103872.jpg

cvphoto103873.jpg

Cant say for sure, my dad bought a new A in 1962, he also had a E, on the lot, That had the D-17, 4 cylinder engine right, and he sold that one the next year, and i delivered,[drove it to the new owner]in the summer of 63, looked just like yours, i don't even know where the serial number was, Maybe Dr Allis will chime in!

Norm Swinford's book shows E production 1962 through 1968, the last year being the EIII.
The late E had enough changes from the early E that it could be considered a series II, although that designation was never used. The EIII became the K, then the K2.
The air flow grain saver must have been added. That didn't show up until much later.
The E didn't come with a slip clutch on the feeder beater. That came with the corn head.
I'm sure you can get the plastic guides for the fingers from Agco. They didn't hold up well in corn, so they went to cast iron.

That explains the slip clutch being for the corn head? We didn't make the big switch from Ear Corn to shelled corn until the late 60's. Big change to set up bins and dryers-grain wagons and abandon the Mounted corn picker-big corn cribs and elevators-and big Shelling day. Now the big farmers have abandoned the Bins and dryers and everything goes in the how many Semi trucks they have??

The later Gleaner was bought just for Wheat and Soybeans at later date sometime in the 70's-80's. First one was used for Corn until it was replaced with a New Holland 4 row which was a much better Corn machine. cleddy

Thanks for the information. Our dealer drove ours out from town about 5-6 miles in 1964. I remember we were in the hay field picking up hay bales when he came rolling across the field to where we were. That is the greatest sight for a 11 year old boy to see??? We actually had something NEW. At that age a person doesn't realize that having the money to pay for something nice was a fact of life on the farm. That concept has sure went out the window these days? Cleddy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back