Glow plug install

frankinri

Member
The other day I had to start the tractor with either because it was cold out. On the can it says not to use it on an engine with glow plugs. I would like to setup the tractor so it is easy to start even when its cold. I ordered a manifold glow plug from yesterdays tractor. I have never installed one and it did not come with any instructions. I am assuming I have to drill and tap a hole in the intake manifold to mount it. Wondering about the connection to they ignition. Also the connection to the fuel. Where do I connect that fuel line and what connection do I use on they ignition for the electrical. Last question because I will have no light can I cheaply connect one (installed the instrument cluster from YT also) or should I just wait X amount of seconds first. I also purchased the ignition from yesterdays tractor.
 

I don't believe that they had glow plugs available. They had a cold start system available which included a manifold heater which was probably like the ones in the 4 cyl diesels. They also had a reservoir which when the system was activated by the key being in the preheat position, would allow a small amount of fuel to dribble onto a hot coil or plate.
 
4500s have thermostart as option. There is a plug at front of manifold on inside. Remove plug and screw in. Have to create a tee in return line to feed fuel and hook electricty to it powered by heat position
of switch.
 
(quoted from post at 16:25:28 11/02/20) 4500s have thermostart as option. There is a plug at front of manifold on inside. Remove plug and screw in. Have to create a tee in return line to feed fuel and hook electricty to it powered by heat position
of switch.

Thanks a bunch guys you are the best. Not sure what you mean by heat position. Also are you sure the all have a plug on the intake manifold?
 
(quoted from post at 20:33:19 11/03/20) Yes I 2 4500s and 5000 and all have plugs. only 1 4500 has thermostart. The newest diesel switch has heat position built in.

Looks like the ignition has a pin for this (pin 3) but how will I know when its ready? Is there some type of a light I can install? I have the YT instrument cluster installed.
 
There is no indicator light for the thermostart. How it works is that you hold the key in the "heat" position. In the earliest key switches the "heat" position was one position (click) to the left of "off" and there was an additional "start" position to the left of that. Most key switches these days have nothing to the left of "off", and the "heat" position is halfway between the "run" and "start" positions and you have to hold it there against the spring tension. If you don't feel a spring tension when you turn the key all of the way to the left like you do when you turn it all of the way to the right to the "start" position, then you have the newer style key switch.

You are supposed to hold it in the "heat" position for 30 to 40 seconds and that causes an electric element inside to heat up which causes a valve to open and allows a small amount of fuel to dribble in and onto the hot element and catch fire, which heats up the air in the intake manifold. You can test it to make sure that it is working by removing the tube from the air filter where it goes into the front of the manifold and then hold the key in the "heat position for 30 to 40 seconds and then look into the front of the manifold to see if you see a flame. You should also hear a faint "whoosh" sound as it ignites, and you should still be able to hear that with the air filter tube is in place when you are sitting on the seat if your hearing isn't too far gone. Then, when you have the flame and you turn the key to the "start" position and the starter cranks the engine, the heated air and some of the flaming drops of fuel will be sucked into the cylinders to heat things up inside the combustion chambers and make it start easier.
 

Thank you. I dont see that plug any ideas.


mvphoto64439.jpg


mvphoto64440.jpg
 
Swing the battery tray out of the way and you should find it on the side of the manifold closest to the engine up forward near where the air tube from the air filter attaches.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top