Going to look at Used 6 foot King Kutter finish mower

I'm looking for a 6 foot finish mower for my (wife's) Golden Jubilee. There are lots of 5 footers available but not many 6 footers in NC. There is one not too far away that is a 6 foot King Kutter. It does not appear too beat up from pictures. This one is yellow and I guess that is a clue to its age. What should I look for? It is currently hooked up to Golden Jubilee and I should be able to test it. How can I tell if the gear box is ok, or the pulleys and spindles are all good? Or anything else? Thanks.

Slop on the drive shaft from a loose key or shear bolt, wobble on the pulleys from loose tired bearings frayed or worn belts. Most likely the spindle bearings are about due for replacement on it along with belts from being worn or slipping due to the worn/sloppy bearings. Dull knives under it.

I've had a King Cutter for 14 years and it's been a very low cost to maintain. Replaced the belt once. I mow 2-1/2 acres with it and it's far from being a smooth ride. Can't believe that it's still in one piece. Grease it after every mowing, change to gear case oil every couple years and, sharpen the blades as needed. If needed, I would buy a King Cutter again before any other brand.

Glad you dig your King Kutter! I mow about 3 1/2 acres with my little Woods. About 45 years old. Needed Blades this year- good grade of steal (never bothered to run a Rockwell on 'em), but only good for a decade or 2. Wanted to pass on that a very nice Woods cost little more than a fresh from land o chop sticks K Kutter. Figured that on a web thing called Yesterday's Tractors that Heirloom Quality stuff may be appreciated. Mine should get fresh paint at 50 years- if it needs it or not. I guess 45 years ago a King Kutter was a Ford Pinto fender, or some such- that is kind of cool, somehow. Rock on.

I drove 40 miles each way today to see the 6 foot King Kutter I was thinking about. The whole point of me going was to use it attached to a Jubilee just like mine so I could get to see how well it mowed with the same tractor as mine. There was a big difference between the 2 tractors, mine starts and runs, his did not. What a wasted trip. The mower looked very solid with heavy gage steel deck. He said it was 5 to 10 years old but there was a lot of signs of surface rust starting and it was kept in a barn. Did not bother to look any closer since the whole point of the trip was not going to happen. Dang...

Does anybody recognize this? Seller does not know brand . He says it's 30 years old and is a 5 foot cutter. Thanks!
mvphoto109778.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back