good use for cheap-er tools

souNdguy

I had my nice hard case tool kit stolen out of my work truck a while back. ( I used to flop the tools between my personal vehicle and work truck, but now have re-thought that.

I like to have a complete sae and metric wrench and socket set from 19-4mm and 7/8-3/16 plus alan and torx, screw drivers and pliers, dykes.. etc. adjustable wrench.. and a VOM.

I've replaced my personal tool kit and now it stays in my personal vehicle split between a hard side case and a soft case for the electronic stuff.

For my work truck I came up with a good idea.

I've always 'collected' cheap tools here and there... yard sale 1$ pakistan socket sets... or the time when you are broke down on the road and walk to a kmart and buy a cheap tool set just to fix something and then get on your way.. or the tools you find in the road.. etc.

I usually stick all 'those' tools in a bucket inthe corner of the barn.

went thru them today and assembled my full wrench and socket set from a variety of tiawan, pakistan, and even a few craftsman tools... put it all in a plastic tool box that started life as a shipping container for industrial cutting edge/tines for a mixing machine.. so box is about 8" wide, 8" tall and a foot long with good hinge, molde din handle on top, and 6 snap closures, hold all them tools, plus a lil led flashlight and a small can of wd40.

Now I can throw that one int he work truck and not bat an eye if it goes bye-bye.. heck.. since they are cheap tools.. they probably won't get stolen!

I can also safely toss that one on the floorboard of the tractor and bunji there and not worry about forgetting them or loosing them so much.

Just a guess here.. but i bet I could put together at least 2 more 'full' cheap socket and wrench sets.

I like the yard sale tools.. I can usually find socket sets or wrench sets mising a single tool and get them for 50 cents.. etc.

I like leaving a cheap 1/2" wrench in each tractor tool box for battery bolts.. etc.. that way I don't worry about it coroding if I forget to clean it!

This all started earlier int he day when i was gonna go buy a tool set to throw int he work truck when i figured while times are hard.. why dump 20$ on a cheap hard side tool kit that don't have everything you need.. when you can just scrounge one up!

soundguy

All of the pawn shops over in Killeen (Ft Hood) are full of taiwan/china sockets and wrenches. I've never asked about the price because I haven't been interested but I bet you they would let you buy a bucket full of that junk for a couple of bucks just to get it out of their store.

I feel for ya. I work in New Orleans and have many tools stolen from me on the job site and out of truck, they take them down the street and try to sell them to the first contractor they see. Neaver buy a tool if you think its hot, it is just suporting them. If you are aproched by someone you think is selling a hot tool ask to see ther drivers license. Anit going to happen.

Funny you mention that.

One of our big pawn shps here has a 'clean out' sale once per year and dumps all the 'junk' thay ahve collected over the year for super cheap. I usually do wander down and look.

the tools, even cheap sets that are full and intact in a case still go for 4-5$.. but the 'unsorted' buckets of tools are litterally grab-bag priced .. mind you it's all import junk.. but I've grabbed coffe cans full of unsorted sockets or wrenches for a buck.. at that price.. I like em... Some I've cut down for stubbies.. some I've heated and bent.. or welded up... I don't feel too bad doing that to a 5 cent packistan wrench!

soundguy

thats a good idea ive got a bunch of el cheapo sockets too, ive ben using them for washers and spacers when nothing else is handy they also work for drill centering on broken studs and bolts, just slide the closest socket that will fit over the broken stud and use the largest drill that will fit in the drive hole, instant center or real near

Sound, that is one reason why I carry a Proto crescent wrench on my key ring. It is only 4 inches long but opens to 9/16s so it is handy and has got me out of a lot of trouble in the past. Plus I have one other thing which is nice. I have a friend who owns a pawn shop and when ever he cleans up he brings me the stuff he does not think will sell so I get lots of cheap junk tools to play with

It is too bad you can't shoot the S.O.B.s for repeatedly stealing your tools. Here you are rebuilding their decrepit city and they are robbing you. With a pack of wild dogs like that the only thing you can do is make them fear for their life in order to deter them.

Stories like that really get my ire up.

The only thing you should keep in a toolbox in the back of an open pickup is Cans of old paint you want to get rid of. wire it closed so none is lost when the old auction buy tool box goes missing.

(quoted from post at 21:18:17 01/18/09) All of the pawn shops over in Killeen (Ft Hood) are full of taiwan/china sockets and wrenches. I've never asked about the price because I haven't been interested but I bet you they would let you buy a bucket full of that junk for a couple of bucks just to get it out of their store.

That shows you haven't actually priced stuff in a pawn shop. They don't want to sell that stuff. A junky tool will be price at new tool prices, and chineese junk will be priced at snap-on prices. Even in Killeen. (Used to live/work up there. Great place to get away from. Stay away from Ave. "D", heh-heh) :lol:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back