Goodyear vs Yokohama?

Geo-TH,In

My 2005 Buick came with Goodyear tires. Because of their age not mileage only had 60k on them, I decided to install new tires for a trip to Florida over spring break. I installed Yokohamas. They are very quiet, great on wet roads, very smooth riding tires but my gas mileage instantly dropped about 10%. I even installed a new delco air filter before the trip.

Only thing I changed were the tires. Has anyone else experienced a drop in mileage with Yokohamas?

Is there any place that has data on tire rolling resistance?

I need to replace the tires on my truck before winter. I may not go with Yokohamas if they are going to lower my mileage.
thanks,

Geo

silly question, but what air pressure were you running? too low increses rolling resistance and will decrease mileage.

I switched to Yokohama on my 05 chevy pickup. Didn't notice a fuel mileage change but gave it a rough ride.

Dealer put nitrogen in tires. Air pressure is checked at dealer every oil change, 3k.

I really can't say what the pressure is. Tires don't look soft.

I'll look inside door and check pressure.

if you had Michelin's you may experience a drop , I don't think it would be ten percent but it does make a 3 or 4 mpg difference .

I do have Michelin on truck. WILL get 100k on 80k tires. I think I'll stay with Michelin.

Thanks

Milage will drop with new tires over old tires most times. The deaper tread increases rolling resistance plus the larger diameter from the deaper tread means you travel farther with each revolution of the tires so you register less actual miles per odometer mile traveled. Plus it's posible that the new tires are larger just because of the different brand which would also increase distance traveled. Then you can add in some differences in gas since some states add more ethonal which gives lower milage. If you add all that together you could easily get 10% change.

(quoted from post at 03:52:09 09/09/16) Milage will drop with new tires over old tires most times. The deaper tread increases rolling resistance plus the larger diameter from the deaper tread means you travel farther with each revolution of the tires so you register less actual miles per odometer mile traveled. Plus it's posible that the new tires are larger just because of the different brand which would also increase distance traveled. Then you can add in some differences in gas since some states add more ethonal which gives lower milage. If you add all that together you could easily get 10% change.

I have read that on professional sites about fuel mileage drop with new tires it had to do with rolling resistance and breaking them in.

It also recommended to install Speed rated tires SO I DID on my own car I went with V speed rated tires,. It now rides like a wagon :( but handles like a race car.

quick search

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=177

Hobo,
I can tell from the radar devices the cops put out along the road, my speedometer is spot on, therefore my tire size is spot on too.

I did notice the Yokohama tires drive like race tires. Move the steering a little and you are there. Took some getting used to.

I love the tires and handling, just a drop in mileage.

No more than I drive the car, mileage is no big deal. The savings in gas, doesn't merit putting new tires on. Lucky to put 5K on car in a year.

Bill, not to worry. Dealer installed universal all season Nitrogen in my tires. Unlike Bubba, no need to change air each time I oil change. geo

10% difference in average fuel economy is a significant change, I really doubt tires would do that. Maybe if you went from a super highway tire to an aggressive mud terrain, or increased a couple sizes which is not the case here.

You only drive 5k miles a year, that doesn't seem like you have driven enough miles to find/blame the decrease on the tires. Do you fill the fuel tank once a month or so? What I am saying is I would probably start looking at other things before blaming the tires on a 10% reduction in economy.

I brought the car from a customer it had Mic's I had told him they were junk (only 5 years old) they were rotten as rotten as they come. I could have rode them out BUT I like good tars on my chit.

I will admit a problem (don't hold me to it I am going off memory)

It had 215/55/17 I ordered 215/55/17 replacements I made sure I orders a set of non-directional speed rated tars so I could rotate then any were I seen fit. .

I took all 4 tars off the rims and installed one new tar on a rim... I then looked at the Packard label to see what's the factory recommended for air pressure

To my surprise it came with 205/65/17 if I had know dat that's what I would have put back on it .

45 day free trial I have not made my mind up if I am going to take them up on it... they will age out before I ware them out I put 3K are less on a car a year. Toyo tars ruff and tuff and don't take any chit.

:D

Michelin came from factory on my 2012 Buick Enclave, left front tire blew @48,000 miles---didn't just go flst, blew off the rim with my wife running 60mph down the hiway. Got to looking and the other3 tires were cracked and rotten! Replaced with good year double eagle, have rotated one time, plan on putting a set on my f-150 next week.

I had Yokohama Geolanders on my Subaru when bought new in mid '09. Got 170,00 miles from them. Went back to Yokohamas but different style this time, these ride better than the Geolanders.

George, Yokohama tires have a softer rubber compound which makes the tires grippier on the road surface, which translates out to a higher rolling resistance. Yes, they ride nice, but you're sacrificing Economy for Comfort.

:>(

(quoted from post at 12:18:03 09/09/16) George, Yokohama tires have a softer rubber compound which makes the tires grippier on the road surface, which translates out to a higher rolling resistance. Yes, they ride nice, but you're sacrificing Economy for Comfort.

:>(

I'd beg to differ on the Geolanders... the ride like you have bricks installed but they sure last.

Thanks Dr Walt.

I suspected the Yokohama tires have greater rolling resistance. Bought my first and last set of Yokohamas. I've been a fan of Michelins. Get good gas mileage and tires last longer than they are rated for.

Tire Barn said Michelins changed ownership and I should go with Yokohamas. They just forgot to tell me I would get less mpg.

Any thoughts about Michelins?

Thanks for confirming my suspensions.
geo

From what I see Michelin's are not what they use to be... I would not try and talk a Mic guy out of buying a set but I would not recommend them to a Newbe Mic buyer.

Look at the price difference :shock: I expect better than what I am seeing now form Mic's. YMMV.

If Sears would just bring the Road handler from the 80's back... I think they were Mic's they were a great tire before we went GREEN.

(quoted from post at 15:59:13 09/08/16) My 2005 Buick came with Goodyear tires. Because of their age not mileage only had 60k on them, I decided to install new tires for a trip to Florida over spring break. I installed Yokohamas. They are very quiet, great on wet roads, very smooth riding tires but my gas mileage instantly dropped about 10%. I even installed a new delco air filter before the trip.

Only thing I changed were the tires. Has anyone else experienced a drop in mileage with Yokohamas?

Is there any place that has data on tire rolling resistance?

I need to replace the tires on my truck before winter. I may not go with Yokohamas if they are going to lower my mileage.
thanks,

Geo

As previously stated the full tread height has more squirm ands flex which increases rolling resistance . The new rubber is also softer vs the old dried out hard tires.
Inflation pressure affects rolling resistance .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back