Got a starter problem with my 8n

hogluvr

Member
I had a leaking float which poured gas into the oil and hydrolocked it. Was unaware at the time, the starter solenoid just clicked. Replaced the solenoid and got it started, tractor caught fire. Put it out, it wasn’t on fire long enough to even melt any wires. Felt real lucky. I sorted out the carb issues and changed oil twice, then tried starting and solenoid clicking again. Replaced solenoid, still clicking but now when I turn the key off the solenoid buzzes for several seconds then stops? Anybody have an idea what the heck is going on?
 
Is the tractor wired like it left the factory?, or has it been farmerized? Is it 6v or 12v? Starter should not be connected in any way to the key switch if the tractor is wired as it should be.
 
Positive or negative ground? Looks like it may be positive ground. Did you get the right solenoid? Do you still have the original? I would consider putting it back on and trying it.
 
I’ll throw a charger on the battery although I would think it would still turn over with that much voltage. I’ll throw the old solenoid back on and see what happens
 
Try swapping the the cables on the large lugs of the solenoid.
Did you try jumping directly to the starter to see if it will turn?
 
OK, it's 12v, what switch activates the starter? Is it the factor switch which grounds the solenoid to activate it/ 12.6 is the voltage you need and it needs to be everywhere so don't just check at the battery. put the meter on the battery and activate the starter and read the voltage and report back.
 
I will do that thanks. Battery is on the charger now. Yeah factory switch which looks like a dimmer switch. Switch went bad so I just ground it with a screwdriver
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top