Got it home

RBoots

I asked a couple weeks or so back about a ballpark price on a Ford 5000 that had been setting for something like 14 or 16 years. I think he said it sat in the barn for 14, and then his son in law moved it out of the barn where it sat for 2 years outside. Was told I could check it all out and see if I could get it running if I wanted before I made an offer. I cracked all the drain plugs, got nothing but oil, no water or antifreeze. Had half a tank of stinky fuel, drained off a bit, and it wasn't full of crud, just stinky. Put my heavy jumper cables from my pickup to it, and it didn't roll hardly a full turn and was running like a top. Everything works good and as it should. Needs a seat, a battery, a couple tie rods ends, and a water pump (loose). And tires. All 4 tires are loaded on it. Gonna service it and run it around a bit and maybe do some mowing with it this week before I buy tires. Gonna clean up the rims and paint them when I put the tires on, get rid of the rust stains. Has the dealer sticker on it still from when it was sold new, I bought it from the original owner. I think a little wax and it will shine right up. Can't remember exactly the number, but it has around 2400 hours on the tach, which works. I believe it too, paint is hardly worn on the foot pans or pedals. Gonna flip the wheels in narrow as well. I guess they used it for cultivating certified seed crops they used to grow.

Ross
cvphoto29459.jpg

cvphoto29469.jpg

cvphoto29471.jpg

My Uncle Walter bought one with a front end loader in the '60's to clean the cow barn out with and cut silage, etc. My cousin ended up selling it many years ago without having any major work to it. Was a good tractor

Oh, and the best part was that the guy sold his house and didn't want to mess with moving it, so I feel I got a real good deal on it!

He said the headlights were at one of the other farms hanging on the wall, said he would bring them over here soon. I didn't look up the year, but someone on here noticed when I posted earlier looking for a price that it was an early one due to the Simms injection pump, maybe a first or second year tractor?

That's a nice straight one, another favorite one as well, we had a trade in with the square fenders used for haying one season, was a good one for that.

Give it some rubbing compound to clean off the oxidized layer, then put some wax on it. You'll have a very nice looking tractor. Congrats!

Steel gril early 68, plastic grill late 68 up. Engine size went up with the plastic grill. Mine was a steel grill 68 model but I prefered using the 65 and 68 4000 over the 5000. All were gas.

Looks like you better go back and give the guy double the money, or you will lose your job after not sleeping nights!!

Thanks for the comments guys! I post a picture of it when I get it washed up, shined up, and all the odds and ends taken care of on it. I don't think I'll put any paint on it anywhere, I want it to be as original as possible.

Ross

(quoted from post at 21:00:06 07/13/19) I didn't look up the year, but someone on here noticed when I posted earlier looking for a price that it was an early one due to the Simms injection pump, maybe a first or second year tractor?

Someone told you wrong.
Sims pump was used until 11/72 when they switched to the CAV pump.
Smooth hood and flat grill makes it newer than mid 68.
They didn't have integral power steering until 9/70
They only had blue rear wheel centers from 71-74, maybe on 75 -000 models but my 75 6600 has white wheel centers, my 74 5000 has blue wheels centers with CAV pump.
Your tractor should be a 71-72 model.
Nice tractor, great find!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back