Governor problem

SharpTJ

Member
I have a 2N that is kicking my butt. I rebuilt the carb and new bells on the governor. Now the throttle has a perfect movement when the tractor is not running. Once the Hector is running, it's like the governor is stuck and the throttle can only be manipulated by moving the connecting rod with my hand... There is a little side to side slop in the arms, but nothing that would cause this I don't think
 
A little more history would be helpful. What was the tractor doing to cause you to rebuild the carburetor and get into the governor?
 
(quoted from post at 17:06:08 04/22/19) A little more history would be helpful. What was the tractor doing to cause you to rebuild the carburetor and get into the governor?

The throttle never had worked right. You always had to run it 1/4 choked, wouldn't run under "half throttle," and the governor never really worked correctly. It basically acted as if the governor wasn't there and was a straight throttle linkage.

I rebuilt the carb completely.
 
It sounds like you got the engine running without choke by overhauling the carburetor. As for the governor, do you have the FO-4 service manual? There is a section in there on adjusting the governor linkage. You say that it never seemed to work right. Is everything there? Specifically the compensating spring? This may be a silly question, but you do have the linkage connected correctly? The link from the top connects to the inside governor lever and the link to the carburetor connects to the longer outside lever.
 
(quoted from post at 15:16:50 04/23/19)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17gNM4R71LWjuOjYWCdB06FU-zfMOPjuR/view?usp=drivesdk
f you use hand to pull gov to carb rod so as to speed up engine, does gov work against you to slow it down?
 
(quoted from post at 16:45:30 04/23/19) yes, you can feel the pressure getting stronger the more I move the carb rod
hat sounds like the flyball parts are working. The spring between the gov arms should have no slack, but should also not be under any tension. i.e., the instant you move the input arm (hand throttle), the arm connected to carb should be pulled by the spring. The flyball mechanism fights this spring.
 

Yeah, that's why I am confused about why the arms move fine when off, but don't move when it's running.

Did the video above work?
 
(quoted from post at 16:55:03 04/23/19)
Yeah, that's why I am confused about why the arms move fine when off, but don't move when it's running.

Did the video above work?
ooks like spring is being stretched, but I can't see whether there is any slack at beginning of movement.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top