Graham Hayeme chisel plow usage and soil type

Texasmark

I have some neighbors who bough a farm that has been neglected for decades.....Houston Black Clay...gooey when wet, rock hard when dry....have to catch it at the right time. Nothing but grass for vegetation and that helps. I have a Hoeme and thought about running it through the field for the first pass as soon as the soil is dry enough to break open, and not just slit open and close back up.....then following up a couple of days later with heavy duty disc harrow and then chain harrow to smooth it all out.

I bought the Hoeme decades ago and never used it. Thought this might be an opportunity for the right implement at the right time....a soon as the soil dries out enough to not stick together.

Thoughts?

Your plan should be fine but I'll guess you'll end up with some serious clods to contend with. How many shanks are on your Graham-Hoeme plow & what HP is tractor that's to be attached to the chisel plow? Depending on plowing depth you'll need 15-20 HP per shank. Normally plowing clay soils with chisel plow is performed in Fall so Winter freezing temps can help clods disintegrate.

Your plan should be fine but I'll guess you'll end up with some serious clods to contend with. How many shanks are on your Graham-Hoeme plow & what HP is tractor that's to be attached to the chisel plow? Depending on plowing depth you'll need 15-20 HP per shank. Normally plowing clay soils with chisel plow is performed in Fall so Winter freezing temps can help clods disintegrate.
7 shanks, 84 HP. May take a couple of passes, maybe in an X configuration which has worked well before. Depth would depend on loading of the tractor. Chisels are slow tapered to a fine point, not in a V configuration, which would be easier to pull at deeper depths. I like to limit loading to 5% or so of engine RPM usually. This is a Case-IH 895 and it has a long stroke so torque should be pretty good with lugging ability.
Thanks.

7 shanks, 84 HP. May take a couple of passes, maybe in an X configuration which has worked well before. Depth would depend on loading of the tractor. Chisels are slow tapered to a fine point, not in a V configuration, which would be easier to pull at deeper depths. I like to limit loading to 5% or so of engine RPM usually. This is a Case-IH 895 and it has a long stroke so torque should be pretty good with lugging ability.
Thanks.
And I run a 7 shank coulter chisel with a 145hp tractor. I’ve picked the front wheels off the ground in tough ground.

It’s fun to see the differences in dirt and machines in different regions.

Paul

And I run a 7 shank coulter chisel with a 145hp tractor. I’ve picked the front wheels off the ground in tough ground.

It’s fun to see the differences in dirt and machines in different regions.

Paul
I don't doubt that......my clay gets mighty hard in late summer, definitely not the time to attempt any kind of plowing......have to wait till September rains limber things up......but haven't used the Hoeme as I said earlier. I just picked up this CIH and thought it might be suited for the job....maybe not.

I have one and wound up removing two shanks so my Farmall could pull it, even in sandy soil. FIL called them a 'tractor killer'.

I have one and wound up removing two shanks so my Farmall could pull it, even in sandy soil. FIL called them a 'tractor killer'.
I saw it at an auction and I liked the design as it was heavy and long enough whereby I felt it could handle my clay when it was (reasonably) hard and the shanks would stay in the ground rather than bounce across the top like similar implements I purchased. Must have been around 1980 when I bought it and don't remember if I ever tried it or not. Don't remember what larger tractor I had at the time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back