Grandpa's cub tractor - 1950?

rbrashears62

New User
My mother has my grandpa's McCormick cub tractor. Grandma was a truck farmer and used the cub to cultivate his crops. He also had a John Deere 60 for the heavy work.

The serial # on the cub is 100225 with 1800 on the serial# plate. The odd part is the serial number doesn't look like the ones that I found on line. I think that it is a 1950 model. The serial plate maybe the victim of someone cleaning it wrong.

The casting on the side has the code 11 2 8 which seems to be mfg date of November 2, ?

It hasn't been started for about four years but has been stored in a shed during this time. I want to get it running for mom.

Just looking for tips on what to do before cranking it. I am not much of a mechanic can do simple things.

Some ideas.
1. Drain and clean gas bowl. Put new bas in tank. 100% gasoline

2. Change spark plugs and maybe points.

3. Change oil and filter (maybe after I get it running).

4. Check the points

Other things to do?

thanks,
Richie

I'd put a squirt of oil in each spark plug
hole and then turn the engine over by hand
with the plugs out to make sure you don't
have anything sticking and everything
turns easily before trying to start it. If
it turns easily by hand, then crank it
with the starter to clear any excess oil
before reinstalling the spark plugs and
continuing with fresh gas and such.

Hello rb welcome to YT, if you are a 62 model I am
hanging right there with you, June is my rollover
month. Even though it was in a shed the engine and
gear case can condense water. Loosen the engine oil
plug until it starts to drip. Water is heavier than oil so it
will go to the bottom. If only oil drips out you are good
to go. Also check the drain on the rear end gear case
in a similar manner. I will link the manufacturers online
parts catalog this will let you browse around the
diagrams if you want or need to. On another note send
me an email through the site email, I will send you a
link to access some free documentation for reference
when working on your tractor. If you are logged in you
will see the email buttons in the bottom of my reply.
CNHI Farmall Cub online parts catalog

Your casting date code is more likely 11 2 S, not 8. The last character is a letter. S would mean the casting was done in November of 1949. Several references on the Internet show the first serial number of 1950 to be 99536, meaning yours was made roughly in January of 1950, three months after the casting was made. That's about right.

There is an entire genre of videos on youtube called "Will it run?" Plenty of them on tractors, Farmalls, and even some on Cubs. You can learn something from all of them.

In reality it's not that complicated, depending on the condition of the tractor. If it's just been parked inside somewhere dry and protected for a long time, check the oil, put in fresh gas, install a battery, and see what happens.

DO NOT start replacing things until you know the engine runs, or your troubleshooting has confirmed a bad part. It makes no sense to throw away good money on an engine that will not run, even though with these old Farmalls, that is highly unlikely.

Make sure you have oil pressure after you get it started. It should show pressure on the gauge within 10 seconds after you get it running. If not you will have to prime the oil pump and then try again. There are two ways to prime the oil pump. One is a Allen head screw on the left side of the engine behind the hydraulic lines. If you can get the screw out use a squirt can with engine oil and pump oil in the hole. Amount that is needed is questionable but I use a squirt can full if it will take it. The second method is to remove the oil filter. the is a small hole near the top of the oil filter housing that you squirt oil into. I also use a squirt can full there. For reference my squirt can holds about 8 ounces of oil.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back