DelMN

Ok everyone, I'm looking for a good grease gun. Don't need a battery powered one. Just a good lever action type. I've got a
half dozen of old ones, most from garage sales. I have a knack of buying ones that are on their last leg!! Looking to spend
in the 25 dollar range. What does everyone recommend? Thanks in advance for your input!

Del,

Get the pistol grip if you have the physical ability. I need one hand for keeping the gun on the zerk, one for pumping.

D.

Got two pistol grip units from NAPA two years ago. I have flexible hoses on both and a sure loc end on one of them. I have been satisfied. I junked several that leaked
Don

Ditto the pistol grip. I have one that is 30 plus years old and like it. I have had two air operated in the last few years and they were both disappointments.

(quoted from post at 14:12:37 05/13/21) Ok everyone, I'm looking for a good grease gun. Don't need a battery powered one. Just a good lever action type. I've got a
half dozen of old ones, most from garage sales. I have a knack of buying ones that are on their last leg!! Looking to spend
in the 25 dollar range. What does everyone recommend? Thanks in advance for your input!

JD sells a good pistol grip gun. Doubt they make it but their name is on it. Had to buy it at a local dealer. It's been a good grease gun, easy to control and keep on the fitting. I think it was around $30.

At this point in time I will buy nothing but Alemite. Even their Chinese built stuff is better than anything else out there.

I have a pistol grip, It works fine. It's not for me anymore, I have arthritis in both hands.
A level action requires both hands. Sometimes you need a third hand if you have a flex hose.

I love my cordless, especially when I go through a tube at a time.

For those of you recommending a Pistol Grip type, is the pistol grip 90 degrees to the barrel? I used to have one where the barrel and pistol grip were in line. Wish I could find another.

I'm always the guy who buys 10 used ones in a box at an auction for a dollar.......Unless they are bent, cracked or beat to death, I've never had one that I couldn't clean up and put back into service.

(quoted from post at 18:08:03 05/13/21) For those of you recommending a Pistol Grip type, is the pistol grip 90 degrees to the barrel? I used to have one where the barrel and pistol grip were in line. Wish I could find another.

This is mine, but it's closer to $40 so maybe not much help to the original poster. Can't deal with the lever kind where you have to hold the barrell and pump with other hand. Hose always came off the zerk or if it stayed on the grease went everywhere but in the fitting.

Gerrit
mvphoto75246.png

I have a lever for the stubborn zerks and a pistol grip for regular greasing actually two different pistol grip .
cvphoto88326.png

Threw the pipe and put a hose on it . Keep hood tips on and zerks wear out and need replaced to thats why they wont take grease and the hose wont stay on
cvphoto88327.png

I like one hand on the zerk so a pistol grip works for that. Once the end gets weak and has to be held tight and straight on to work I buy a new one...........Probably more the $25

John T

I have tried every type and always go wind up with the pistol grip type. Since I have retired from baling hay I could probably use a lever type with a straight tube on it. Just keeping a brush hog and tractor lubed. Dang, now I have to try another one, probably have it in a shelf somewhere. :)

The best luck I've had was the heavy duty pistol grip from walmart. Came with a tube and a hose, both had a tip, the tips were actually pretty good.
I have a Case on the side dump, but that's all it greases, and it is a pain to get a new tube started.

I recommend spending a few bucks and getting a Ryobi battery powered one.
Best money I ever spent with the arthritis in my hands.

Lincoln grease guns are the best I've found.I have had one for 35 years,it still works good as a newer cheap.I have several grease guns.I try to keep one on each of my regularly used tractors. The lever is good for stubborn zerks. Pistol grip is quicker,and you can hold it on the zerk with your free hand.I also have a pistol grip with a long 30 (hydralic) hose that I use on my JD 95 combine.Lets me easily reach inside to grease the straw walker bearings.Slso have one that I keep full of corn head grease.

For bulk grease the Lincoln is the best. We've got a couple around 20-40 years old finally wore out the lip on the plunger when it cracked the other is still going. I also have a Black one I got at the Deere dealer 20 some years ago for tube grease still working fine. I would not use in on bulk grease unless I kept an old tube in it. The lip on the plunger is the key for bulk grease. For tube grease most any gun will work. We have both lever and pistol guns. Both have their places.

T in NE, I would question the quality of a grease gun from Walmart but sometimes their stuff proves out okay. A tip for starting a new tube and I am assuming you have trouble getting it to pump grease again. After you insert the new tube reinstall the head but only one turn. Jiggle it around a little so you are sure the threads are engaged enough to hold back the spring pressure. Release the rod lock then finish tightening down the head. This helps the trapped air escape. You can also turn it a turn and tap the gun pump end down against a wood block on the bench, another half turn and tap etc. All in an effort to get the air out. YTers must be passionate about their grease guns. I see posts on here from members that joined 10 years back or more with post counts around 600 or less. Just a side observation.

Not sure of your age or health but after buying a Milwaukee battery grease gun, it is a lot easier on this old man. I dont expect I will go back to a lever gun. But then I grease a disc gang bearings every so often.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back