Gutter guards (add on screens to house gutters)

Jack345

I've been seeing the ads for leaf guards & have been wondering how they standup to winter use.. snow melting then freezing on drain holes? They talk about leafs but nothing is mentioned about larch needles that get into everything. Knowing this site I'm sure some of the northern state members will have tried some version of leaf guards on there home. Thanks

I tried them, too, but I took them off after six months. They kept out the leaves, but it was like not having gutters at the valleys.

Butch

All any eave trough is is a roof rotter with snow and ice in the winter here in the below freezing country all they do it hold ice snow and water to soak up under the eave and rot them out as they thaw and freeze back. I don't have anything but the end of the steel at the eaves and never rots the roof. I also added about 8 inches to the length of the roof with the steel so it does get a wee bit further out from the wall.

I had those one piece Leaf Guard gutters installed on my last house. Expensive but best thing I ever did (house surrounded by trees). Wish I did that on my new house but we later removed the trees causing clogging problems for another reason. The Leaf Guard gutters form big icicles in the winter however no other issues. The standard gutters I now have on my hangar nearly get ripped off by the glacial snow movement off the roof in the winter (steel roof). The Leaf Guard have nothing for the snow movement to latch onto.

Tell you my salesman story
Had them in to give me a quote
This has been about 5 years ago.
First price was 3500
Last price was 800 , final offer, I just want to keep the crew busy .
Ask for the final offer price , cut out all the haggling
We didnt buy.

I had gutters installed with Gutter Helmet brand guards, roughly 40 lineal feet. My entry is on the north side, and the walk gets a lot of water from the garage as well as one third of the house. Stupid layout, but I didn't build it. Winter ice (Minnesota) was a real issue. So when I put these on I had them install heat cord, which works like a charm. Gutters have the cord from begining to the end of down spout, plus i had it run up a valley. No more ice build up and it took care of all the water issues. 6 years and not one issue.

I just read this the other day. Person said they got a quote from Leafguard for their 3 bedroom ranch house. Quote was for $15.000

Menards and lowes sell plastic gutters guards with round holes and covered with window screen.
They work for me.

I've had them for years
After a big rain I got water in a small part of my basement

My rain gutters were half full of dirt which I used a hose and flushed out the dirt.
No leave or maple spinners.

I just read this the other day. Person said they got a quote from Leafguard for their 3 bedroom ranch house. Quote was for $15.000

Not on topic, but nearly...I have lost two good friends over the years from falling off ladders used for dealing with gutters. Leo

I've worked on houses where leaves were getting into the leafguard gutters. With a light rain the leaf would stick to the gutter enough to follow the curve into the gutter. I would hate to guess what is involved in cleaning the leaves out of those gutters. Myself I would go with the wire mesh. It lets the grit from the shingles and dirt into the gutter but keeps leaves out. At least the gutters would stay clean as long as the shingles would last. Clean the gutters with a new roof.

Menards and Lowes sells gutter guards with screens.
cvphoto154526.jpg

ICE$2.49
11% MAIL-IN REBATE Good Through 5/14/23$0.27
FINAL PRICE$222
each
$0.74 /lin. ft.

You Save $0.27 with Mail-In Rebate
Maintenance free UV-inhibited vinyl with fiberglass screen for maximum debris protection
Fits standard 5 K-style gutters
Easy to cut & install
Slide under first course of shingles and snap on gutter edge with screen side up.

I've used these and no problems in winter.

I use these. The bad about them are there sharp to handle & in the winter, if these are in the shade, the sun doesn't melt the snow & get iced over & create wet spots on the ground & that can freeze over. Otherwise, I've never cleaned my gutters since installed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amerimax-6074447-Hinged-Gutter-Guard-6-x-36-In/40746298?wmlspartner=wlpa&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&selectedSellerId=1148&adid=22222222223000000000&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=m&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=40746298_10000001205&wl14=amerimax%20hinged%20gutter%20guard&veh=sem&msclkid=142265d356e41ab5aa5701b221c372c0&gclsrc=ds

I put these on my house 20+ years ago. I've not had any plugging of these. They were far cheaper than leaf guard last time I got curious and looked.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back