Rich'sToys

Decided to replace the fan belt on my '43 H. Of course, everything is pretty rusty, since God only knows how long since the last time it was done. Finally got the set screw out of that collar, and started trying to loosen it to split that pulley. Of course, it's not moving very far.
As I was lying awake in bed one night, a thought occurred to me--is it possible that there might be left hand threads on that collar? Given the direction that the engine rotates, it would make sense that they might have done something like that in order to help keep it from working loose while the engine was running. There's nothing in the owner's manual about that--as I mentioned, it was just a wild thought that occurred to me. I probably just need to get the rust cleaned out of there.
I won't be getting back to it for a while, due to my eye surgery, plus a seasonal part time job I'm doing right now, but just wanted to throw it out there. I know plenty of other folks here have changed those. Thanks!

it is Right Hand thread. best is to soak the threads and use a brass punch on the loosening nubs to get the pulley spread. then when belt is off you can work the adjustable half each way and clean the threads up good and oil them before tightening the belt.

Thanks! I kind of suspected that, but thought I'd ask, just in case. They say the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, so I asked. :)

it is Right Hand thread. best is to soak the threads and use a brass punch on the loosening nubs to get the pulley spread. then when belt is off you can work the adjustable half each way and clean the threads up good and oil them before tightening the belt.
Back and forth and back and forth etc. Any movement is a great start. That belt is not meant to be tight, pushing hard with your thumb, should push it is an inch or a little more Tight is waterpump death. Warming the threaded collar with a propane torch helps a lot. Put anti-seize on it and work it in before putting in the setscrew. Jim

Just FYI, I know you don’t want to do this but there are many of those hubs running around with one of those webs busted off from over jealous pounding. So if it happens don’t feel bad you’re just joining the crowd!

Thanks for that heads up! I had thought of that when rustred mentioned using a brass punch. I don't have one of those, but may get one before pursuing this any further.

Thanks for that heads up! I had thought of that when rustred mentioned using a brass punch. I don't have one of those, but may get one before pursuing this any further.
Aluminum bar stock costs 1/3 of the cost of a chunk of brass, and 1/8 the cost of a real brass drift punch

It is good that it is a running tractor that way the pulley faces are shined up and can slide on the belt. Either way I would suggest just cutting the old belt off that way there is no resistance from belt face contact.

i would be leaving the belt on as that is your third hand. dont really matter what kind of drift u use but was saying brass as some people get picky . use at least a punch with a 1/2 inch end on it and long enough to get in there. then when tightening the pulley you need to rotate the engine often after it starts squeezing the belt. u need 3/4 inch of belt movement in the centre. dont forget to grease your water pump also 2 shots max each fitting.

I quit tightening when I can't turn it anymore with the fan and not hold the half with my hands. I use a wire brush on the exterior threads if need be then oil them well and through the setscrew hole too. Will usually spin loose with my hand turning the fan then.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back