Mike(NEOhio)

Well-known Member
Location
Newbury, Ohio
Posting here and JD forum. Has anyone here had one apart and reassembled. The top drive gear doesn't want to go back on. It's a press fit with a woodruff key. Been apart for a long time and when I first had the tractor I made a new shaft for it due to some wear I didn't like. It fit perfectly. Shaft measures .624 dia. but the gear ID is .616. That's a lot of interference. I'm thinking it was originally a shrink fit but that still seems like a lot. Nothing else to retain the gear, only the press. The old shaft is still laying around and it's also .624.
 
Heat the gear to 400 degrees and see what the bore expands too. Gear MIGHT need heated before it's pressed in place. I use a toaster oven a lot to heat gears/bearings when needed.
 
Check machinery handbook for shrink fit.

I don’t see that the John Deere would combine a shrink fit with a woodruff key as an assemble process . To costly ,

Yet the you say no support so ,that’s a definite puzzle
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top