H RUBBER FUEL LINE

LOUH

Member
Ordered rubber fuel line and would to know if it flows more than the metal line, I"ve got something and the "vibration loop" and want to have a backup for "work" purposes.
 
I changed to rubber on my H too. Flow seems good, but having a hard time starting. Runs awhile then sputters out. Took carb off and cleaned it. Still same. By the way, I put a small fuel filter in line and pulled out the screen in the carb inlet because it was dirty.
Screen did not seem to be removable, which I find hard to believe, so I literally forced it out with needlenose pliers, bit by bit. and, NO I did not get any in the carb...it wasn"t put back on yet! Good luck. I"m frustrated with my H. It used to run so well. Fuelbowl leaks too. I ve tried all kinds of gaskets. Will have to get a new one I guess..it must have a minute crack in it. Good luck
 
#1 trhow the in line filter away, #2 put that screen back in the sediment bowl assembly and 90% of your problems will go away. Gravity flow fuel system are not made for in line filters and in line filters are not made for gravity flow fuel system. As of now I have earned at least 10 cases of beer fixing in line fuel filter problems by throwing them away. Cheap easy way to get my beer. LOL
Hobby farm
 
That small screen in the carb that you just wrecked will cost $20 to replace, and the only place to get it is at a Case-IH dealer. You could have cleaned it and re-used it. It is much better than that in-line filter that you put on it. If the bowl is still leaking after you rebuilt it, don't blame the gasket. Go back in there and make certain the float is adjusted to the exact specs. given in the instructions that came with the kit.
 
Old, I'll drink to that. Altough they are fuel filters made for gravity systems. I built a vari eze airplane in 76. Glass backwards. 90 HP and wouldn't pull a plow out of the ground. MS carb and 400 hours with no problems with the filter. I followed Burt Rutans instructions to the tee. I'm back to 28 HP and 3 MPH. Aging well. David.
 
With all due respects to my fellow posters, I have seen several threads where guys are putting down inline filters, and I just want to add my 2 cents. I have one tractor, which is my "working" tractor. I have replaced the line, which was already rubber from the bowl to the carb, (I just put a new one on)and have added one of those cheap clear inline filters from NAPA.2 Reasons, the old filter in the carb had been removed pretty much like you did yours Id imagine, and the only filtering whatsoever was the sediment bowl,and the screen in it was gone.As a temporary fix I added the inline filter until my money situation got better, that was 2 years ago and I have yet to change it to "correct' and it works like a charm. I have probably ran 200 gallons through it.Now, having said that, I agree with everyone that it shouldnt need it, and if there is a probelm with flow, that should be checked first, since there are inline filters that arent made for gravity flow.
 
You will always find people who can not get tractors to run with inline filters and others that have run them for 30 years without a problem. I am with the no problem group.
 
Believe your thread got hi jacked. Do not know if rubber line will flow more but would think it would if it slips over metal line and has larger inside diameter. Either one will flow more fuel than I can afford to buy.
 
i have 5 farmalls......I got a M that had a plugged carb from sitting. It also had a inline filter....I cleaned the carb out with carb cleaner and blew out all the worm holes. crap came flying out when i gave it 150 psi of air. I put a tisco kit in the carb as it was leaking if you left the gas on. put it back on and hit the starter and she ran perfect with no choke. it has an in liner filter on it and it dosent hurt a thing, runs great. it has the sedimate screen on it, an inline filter plus the one at the carb. since there was a inline filter on the rubber line, the filter at the carb was cleen. so the inline filter must do somthing. if it ever dosent let enough fuel flow thru i will just get a new inline filter or a new hose to run without the filter. I keep my tanks cleen as there are no 5 gallon gas cans here. i get gas from my barrel and it has a commerical grade filter that my gas man changes every so often. plus i keep my fuel nozzle cleen by putting a 12 gauge slug over the tip of the nozzle to keep spiders and bugs out. it cant get water in the nozzle with the cap on eather. even though the nozzle is in a spot where it keeps out rain, i think a cap is important as i have seen bugs like to make there home up in there and lady buggs and spider webs will plug your fuel system. 5 gallon cans are bad because if you use a funnel and it is not perfectly clean you wash all that crap from the funnel into your gas. We all know how funnels like to attract dirt and stuff. the inline filter is all right to use as it just provides extra protection. but if you keep your gas cleen... the sedimate filter and carb filter will do the job just fine. As that is all i run on 3 of my gassers. only 1 has a inline filter because it had one when i bought it. I guess its all in what one likes to run.
 
Reply to rusty. You misunderstand. the leak is in the fuel bowl (glass bowl by the tank). Tried all kinds of gaskets..still leaks.

As to the carb screen, it was so plugged with crap and it would not remove..so I pierced it and pulled it out with needlenose pliers piece by piece It was so stuck in there, it actually ripped out around the rim. If that is removable, then someone must have glued it in or something. But I doubt very seriously that said screen is better than an in line filer, considering the fairy latge grid in it.

Thanks for your comments though. Hbauer
 
Thanks to all who replied. I'll keep working on it.
Sediment bowl is a real pain to keep from leaking no matter how many gaskets I try. Might have a hairline crack. I'll look for another one. Tractor supply in Vermont though is less than filled with tractor parts inventory...turning into a clothes store it seems!
H bauer
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top