H won't start

Farmall Ed

New User
My 47 H was running just fine when I parked it about two weeks ago, now it won't start. I am not getting any fire through the coil,tried 2 more coils which may not be good, put in new points and condensor and roter, still no fire. The battery is very weak and I have been starting it with a jump box for some time which I hook directly to the starter. It still has the mag but fires with the coil. I need to get this thing going so I can quit thinking about it and sleep well at night. Any advice will be welcome.If I dont get it going soon I'm going to part it out or sell it! Thanks Ed
 
Do you have battery ignition with a distributor or do you have a mag that's been converted to a distributor? Either way you need a good battery
to supply battery voltage to your coil. If the battery is weak you need to have it checked and you need to check your charging voltage at the battery. You need to tell us if you are still using the 6 volt or if it has been converted to 12 volts. With a mag you don't need battery voltage, the battery is is only needed for cranking the engine. Has your mag been converted
like the one in this picture? Hal
3zan9qq.jpg
 
Didnt we talk about this on another board???????

Anywho, are you saying you have a mag thats been converted to battery power for the coil????? If thats so the very first thing you gotta have is good hot battery voltage getting to the coils high input (NOT to points) terminal when an ignition switch is turned on and a dead or very weak battery cant supply that and isnt getting there in a direct to starter jump.......

Before I can help you I gotta know if this is a conversion (battery powers the coil) or not??????????? If its still a Mag Im out to lunch on IHC mags but can help if its a battery powered mag conversion.

If its a conversion shes not gonna run till you get good hot batetry voltage to the coils high input (NOT to points). If it has an IGN switch maybe its bad or try to hot wire it n se if she fires then. If its a conversion get a test lamp n place it on the coils input n see if it lights up when an IGN switch is turned on??? If not so sparky

If its still a Mag ask the IHC mag gents to help ya

John T
 
Path of least resistance is thru the starter motor. Since your battery is "iffy" at best, sounds like the ignition circuit is starving for juice.

Either pull the tractor to start or go buy a new battery.

Allan
 
You might try hot wiring it to make sure you don't have a bad ignition switch. Also if you can open up the thing so you can open the points by hand and turn the ignition on and open and close the points by hand. When you do that you should get a sprak at the points if you don't then they could be dirty or you may not have power getting to the coil
Hobby farm
 
Thanks for all your responses,I believe you have me on the right track. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to go back out there with a new battery. Thanks again, Ed
 
I went through this for a year with my H. Lots of help from this forum. I too replaced all ignition, battery...even took off the carb and cleaned it.

Still problem. As last resort I took off the
push button start switch and took it apart. It was badly pitted. I went down to get a new one..cost me about $10 and she started. But, it is still a little reluctant and I believe I need a new starter motor or possible voltage regulator. I always have to charge the batter with a trickle charger after using it. I hear this is not unusual though. I would like to get good starter 6 volt box to give it a jolt and save time too. One more think...check your battery cables...buy the thickest ones you can buy..very important.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top