john connell
Member
I bought a '41 Model M that was kinda running but not hardly. After checking many things I came to the conclusion the problem must lie within the Magneto. I found some very good information on Youtube and began to feel confident with a tear down and see if i could find what isnt working right. Low and behold, I did find that one of the springs from the centrifugal weights had come off so the weight would not contact the post properly and I thought, therefore there would only be two chances for spark to go to the cylinders. Put it all back together using grease rather than relying on oil as originally intended. That meant that I needed to open, clean and replace the rotor gear drive. When opening it I wish I'd have taken extra attention at the setting of the mesh, whether R or L. Im now assuming that the gas powered tractors were all right hand turning because I think I heard that the Diesel tractors and stationary engines were all left hand but cant remember who said that. I know that sitting in the seat, the crankshaft direction is CCW or Left and the Magneto drive is CW or right turning but then the rotor gearbox changes that to CCW through the gears. So, I'm confused and am hoping that someone can fill me in on what is what. I pulled the cover off the points at TDC and found that the points fiber block was exactly midway between the high lobes of the shaft making me think that resetting the rotor gears would advance the rotor so that the points would be open as I should be getting spark on #1 cylinder right now and am not. Make sense to anybody. If so, please reply. Greatly appreciated. John