Hack-Saw Blade Orientation

Gomer

Do you install your hack-saw blades to make it a pull saw or a push saw? I have seen most blades installed as a push saw, and this makes the blade somewhat unstable because the frame of the saw will flex some. I have changed over to make mine a pull saw and it will cut much straighter. Am I the only one?

(quoted from post at 13:16:26 04/06/22) Do you install your hack-saw blades to make it a pull saw or a push saw? I have seen most blades installed as a push saw, and this makes the blade somewhat unstable because the frame of the saw will flex some. I have changed over to make mine a pull saw and it will cut much straighter. [b:7883f077d9]Am I the only one[/b:7883f077d9]?
Probably.

Probably not, but if it works for you make it so. Others using your saw will tear the teeth edges off immediately. I have done it upon occasion for clearance reasons, and it is used in my Jab saw permanently. jim

Cheap saw frames flex and the blade can not be properly tensioned resulting in crooked cuts blade damage ect. I only use good frames like LENOX, SANDVIK ect. $40.00 and up.

As students, we were taught to use two hands on the hacksaw, one on the handle, and one on the front of the frame. Used this way, the frame pulls the blade. I use a hacksaw a lot to cut tool and alloy steel, and to cut out small parts. My good quality blades last forever, and cut very precisely. I don't let others use my hacksaws. In reply to the original thread, I often pull files, rather than push them. unc

the teeth have to facing forward so they cut on a push stroke. sometime the blade would get turned around for a joke for the next guy. i have found the blades on backwards and just say idiots and put it on correctly. lol. i dont think pulling on the cutting stroke would work very good, as once our used to relaxing on the pull stroke. plus on one final test there was a question, how many strokes per minute using a hacksaw? 40 s. p. m. i believe it was. dont think a hacksaw would even be mentioned in todays classes. the same with hand files. that was over 40 years ago.

Yes. Much better results and once you are used to it that way it becomes natural. Just like the old 2 man tree saws. If you push they bend.

I teach both standard filing and draw filing in my Manufacturing class. I also use hacksaws and teach their correct use, full length strokes, 60 or fewer strokes/min, 2 hands (one on each end), starting by knuckling the blade in position, and #of teeth in the work. Jim

I have both of my saws set for push cutting. I only hold the saw with one hand. My dad lost his right arm in a farm accident in 1943 at the age of four. I have learned to do most things one handed. Even drive my zero turn mower with one hand.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back