Hauling hay and a scam attempt

Dave H (MI)

Sitting here waiting for someone and remembering hay from last summer. I was hauling 100 bales on an 18' trailer last summer when I noticed one of the cars in the line behind me kept passing one car at a time until he was right behind me. Drove there for a mile or so then whipped out to pass me except he pulled up beside me, honked and motioned for me to pull over. Then he cut across the front of me and we ended up stopped on the shoulder. I got out, he got out and proceeded to tell me that something had come off the trailer and damaged his car. I said "really", and walked around the trailer. All tied down nice, no parts missing from the nearly new trailer. I said "I don't think that happened". He insisted. I pointed out my chase car which had been right behind me until he cut them off. Told him I think they would have seen something. He mumbled something about a mistake and ran up, jumped in his car and was gone before any of us got the license plate. And that, I guess, is why the daughter bought me a dash cam for the trucks this Christmas.

Interesting story, but how would a dash cam help with regards to something falling off or out of your truck or trailer?

Show that something DIDN'T fall off his load.

A few years back we were traveling on a two lane state highway. Began to notice a few scraps of straw along the roadway.
Joked about it with the family. About ten miles later we came upon a pickup loaded to the gills with straw piled high.
Just as we got behind him getting ready to pass, a semi came from the other direction. Draft off semi lifted two bales off the front of his load, went clear over his load and just missed our picture window front windshield on our family van. Took us and several other drivers a couple miles of flashing lights and blowing horns to get him pulled over to tell him to secure his load. Does happen.

It would have given me an ID on the guy so that I could report it. Not like they would have done anything because no crime had been committed.

One of the problems with hauling bales is that the load might be secure when you left the field, but bales compress and trailers flex and sometimes things come loose. If you have chain loops on the trailer and you put a clevis in correctly it should not happen but many larger ratchet straps have hooks too large to go thru. I have had to get picky about what straps I buy.

People like that must have a tormented mind. I cant imagine living the kind of life he does. In 1968 i was driving home from high school in my 59 chevy and met a farmer driving a 620 Deere pulling a flare wagon with a bale perched across the front left corner of the wagon. I was going about as fast as a 59 Chevy with a 6 banger could go, whatever speed that was. Just as we met, the bale fell off the wagon and lit right in front of me. I hit the brakes hard and bumped up over the bale dead center. The bale rolled under the car for the entire length of the car. I kept going but when i looked in the mirror the farmer picked up the bale and threw it in the wagon INTACT. The bale didnt break! I’ll bet it woke the farmer up when the car he was meeting squealed the tires right beside him. Thinking back, i should have stopped and asked him what kind of a baler put out that tough of a bale and what kind of twine he used.

AHMEN !!!!!!!. Not having a dash cam cost me over $3500 in court costs. If you do not have a dashcam you are crazy, stupid, an idiot, or any combination of these. They are CHEEP. The lawers have turned trafic court into the Soviet union. If you don't have that cam you are toast!

I heard about a driving scam in Dallas. Car would pull in front, then slam on the brakes attempting to cause a rear-end collision. Occupants would demand cash to "forget" the incident.

In Dallas, I did have a very slight fender bender with two hispanic men. Not the set up I mentioned above. Don't know if both couldn't speak English or if one was just pretending he couldn't speak English. Only damage to my truck was the plastic license plate holder came off. They claimed a badly dented bumper. Damage to their bumper didn't even begin to line up with the bumper on my truck. They wanted $100 cash to "forget". I said no way and asked for insurance info. Ins card wasn't in either of their names. Told them the insurance companies would settle it and left.

The better ones have the option of plugging in a rear camera. Now you have front and rear. Has been covered on here several times. Sorry to say but you need to cover you4 ars anymore. So sad. What another posted about is called a "brake test". Another name is insurance fraud. Go and watch this video. Wait till about 3/4 of the way through with the tracctor trailer. I came way to close to an idiot like that on the PA turnpike. Was going lane to lane "FISHING" for a hit.

Sounds like a good idea he had a follow me truck behind him. I can tell you with just my little 4X8 foot trailer i use the great big 3 inch straps from tractor supply and I tie evrything down with two or even three of those babies. Check the load about 4 miles down the road and again within another 5 or 6 miles. If everything is OK then I feel good and continue on.

So sad but you need that dash cam footage. Makes a Big differance. No longer hearsay. You Have the proof!

My neighbor didn't do as well on a situation similar to your's Nancy. Lady pulled away from curb and struck neighbor's car on rear quarter panel. They exchanged insurance info and he left her cursing and demanding he pay her cash to forget it. Police knocked on neighbor's door that evening to question him about involvement in hit and run. Lady and her passenger filed civil suit for injuries that neighbor's insurance company furnished lawyer to defend. Neighbor was out thousands of dollars defending criminal charges of hit and run. The disgusting part is why Dallas DA prosecuted eventhough neighbor had her insurance info proving he stopped to exchange info.

(quoted from post at 13:50:09 02/12/18) AHMEN !!!!!!!. Not having a dash cam cost me over $3500 in court costs. If you do not have a dashcam you are crazy, stupid, an idiot, or any combination of these. They are CHEEP. The lawers have turned trafic court into the Soviet union. If you don't have that cam you are toast!

Now we know why we are crazy, stupid or an idiot.
Thanks, I have been trying to find the answer for years. Who would have thought is was all because of a camera.

I was hauling hay one day. I had started early in the Morning around daylight Two Sheriff Deputies were getting horses out of the road on my 1st run I stopped and helped them they were asking did I know who the horses belong to one knew me by name . Later that day around noon I came down the road empty on the way to get another load and one of the Deputies came out of a driveway with lights and siren on...I stopped he walked up to me grinning ...seems a woman had called because I was driving up and down the road she thought I was snooping out houses...Deputy had set in her driveway till I came back through.

I had my dad do some baling for me many years ago, and I gave him a load of hay for his trouble. He was taking it home, and a bale came off and landed on the hood of the car behind- the car was a new mid-70's Trans-Am, the hay bale scratched up the screamin' eagle on the hood, and to top it off, the guy was an off-duty deputy Sheriff that I had worked with in my short stint at the Sheriff's office. I ran into the former deputy the other day, and we had a good laugh about it. He said when he told dad he was a deputy, dad said "Oh, my achin' back". Deputy said the look on his face was priceless- he had to work hard to keep from laughing. He got it fixed, insurance paid for it, case closed.

Dave they used to do that with log trucks, gravle and hot top trucks all the time get a paint job or windshield.

Maybe no crime on you, but what about the next guy? My BiL was driving and a guy did a swoop and squat on him. Couple of folks stopped and told the officer that the guy had tried it on them just before. Giving that info to the police may help them stop a fraudster.

People target road commission trucks constantly for that. They'll stop you and say your tire kicked up a stone, broke my windshield. Or your blade plowing that gravel road tossed up a stone that broke my windshield, even though the idiot sees the snow cloud following my truck and still tries to crowd the center of the road head on. But, in the land of high insurance MI, a no fault state, you end up turning it into your own insurance.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back