Hauling tractor

super99

I like to go on tractor rides, planning on several this summer. I have always just threw a chain around the front pedestal or the axle on a wide front to tie them down on the trailer. I just finished painting the 1550 and don't want to mess up the paint on it. Looking for ideas for something to bolt onto the front of the tractor to fasten chains to, What do you guys use?? I have a cloth sun shade/canopy on the tractor. What do you do with it when hauling?? Collapse it and tie the cloth so it doesn't blow in the wind, leave it up, take it off?? I've been taking it off and putting it in the cab of the truck, but it's getting to be a pain in the butt doing that. Any suggestions?? I'll post pictures of the 1550 when I get it all back together. Thanks,, Chris

The only way to save the paint that I know of is to weld or bolt some designated tie down loops to attach the chain hooks to.

I'm talking substantial loops, not hardware store eye bolts. Even they will get scratched up, but better than peeling the paint off something visible.

The canopy really needs to come off. I would not trust it at highway speeds, up or down.

I bolted D rings to the front of my H's with grade 8 fine thread bolts. Do not know if you could mount something like that on your Oliver but it is an option. ( Yes I know my flags are displayed wrong, I fixed them after I took the picture.)
mvphoto76313.jpg

You gave me an idea. I took an IH disk apart and have the U clamps that held the gangs on, About 5/8 bolts and 3x3. I could weld them onto a plate and bolt to the frame with them hanging down below the frame. I was thinking about a plate bolted to the frame and a round bar welded between them, I have an old truck axle shaft thats 1 1/2 or 2 inches thick.

Our canopy stays on folded with the little bunje straps wrapped around the cover. It has made several hundred miles. Make sure the set screws in the mounting brackets are tight. For the tie downs I made brackets with 3-8 chain grab hooks bolted to the frame on front and a set on the drawbar on the rear. Slip the chain in and out without a lot of paint damage. Enjoy the ride

1. Keep Canopy in the truck

2. Consider a painted plate to mount registration number
Mine will mount on either side. Some rides are
different on where they want their numbers

3. Four links of grade 70 3/8 chain welded to a piece of
bent flat bar and mounted to frame with grade 8 bolts
cvphoto90455.jpg

Ok so not sure if this is what greenmech was meaning or not. Kinda sounds the same. On our four digit tractors use a piece of angle iron running from the loader mount holes downward on each side of the tractor. At the end of the angle iron we have large hooks bolted to them. Between the angle and tractor frame is a thin piece of rubber to protect the paint. Since they have front and rear frame pads you could put them in both places. I dont have pics available, but ours are on my brothers 1755 right now.

This is what I do. Screw a machinery eye bolt in each side in the front. Use a slip hook to hook to the eye bolt. Clean looking and easy. 2 clevises in my hitch on the back.
Throw the canopy in the corner of the shed or risk your paint job taking a beating.
eye bolt

nylon axle straps. Have a couple tractors that have never seen a chain since last restored. I use these with chains to tie down on all four corners. Just make sure they don't go around sharp edges.
Untitled URL Link

I used to haul tractors to shows with the paint barely dry. I would wrap a piece of nylon strap around the axle then put chain carefully over the axle on the strap. Never scratched up the paint. As for the eye bolts they are not designed to be pulled sideways like they get tying down equipment. Eye bolts will just break pulling side ways like that. Very poor plan. If you don't like the strap around the axle then bolt a medium plate or angle to the front across it then with about an 1-1/2 hole you can put most any shackle on to chain to. These old tractors by Requirement only need 2 chains on them so one across the front and one on the back is sufficient if you use the 3/8ths grade 70 chain. I know John is going to cite chapter and verse about the 4 point tie down and DOT books. If he looks a bit more he will find what I'm talking about. I am sure there are limits to that when the tractor gets to a certain size it needs more just due to the weight like a 2255 or 1200 traction king Case.

My tractors are NFE. The fronts of the smaller ones I just put a load strap around the pedestal, and when paint was recent I padded the strap with a towel.

I don't know what you want to spend Chris, but this place advertises in Hart Parr Oliver Collector. They have custom tie downs for the 4 digits that bolt on in place of the front weight. Looks just like a starter weight. There aren't any pictures of them on the website, but their contact info is there.
PG&M

To late now that it is painted but we weld some D rings to the frame for chaining down.

I use 2 clevis and bolt them to tractor
cvphoto90567.jpg

Look for the silver clevis. I think the bolts are using threaded holes where cultivators were attached.
I also use a large clevis attached to hitch.

Here's what I use. Piece of 3/8" thick steel 2" wide by 5" or 6" long. One end bolted to tractor with a grab hook on the other end. It might scuff the paint just a little where it bolts on, but if the paint is cured it's really not that bad. I use them on my painted tractors also.

mvphoto76368.jpg

This post was edited by Rich'sToys on 06/03/2021 at 09:10 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back