Have Silverado w/ 5.3 - will I do OK with the new 2.7?

I try to stay below 12,300 gvtw with my gmc sierra 2011 5.3 , automatic, , photo of loadEd on Landscaping trailer ,Fordson model F
just checking it, going horsepower weekend last September

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    705.4 KB · Views: 14
I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 engine. Once in a while I pull a 5000 pound tractor on a trailer or pull a 12 foot livestock trailer. Mostly concerned about pulling a 6000 - 6500 pound Jayco travel trailer down the Interstate at 60 mph which I have done easily with the 5.3. Chevrolet dealer says I should buy the 2.7 engine in a new Silverado. Seems small to me. 5.3 has around 355 horse power while the 2.7 with a turbo has 310. I really question the decision to buy the 2.7 engine. There is hardly any difference in miles per gallon. The 5.3 runs about $1500 more as an individual item. I have viewed a youtube video of the development of the 2.7 and it does look to be a tough engine. Just don't know if it can compete on the interstate. Anyone running a 2.7 and pulling a moderate load? Thank you.
All I know is at 60 you will be 20mph slower than everyone else and a hazard.

All I know is at 60 you will be 20mph slower than everyone else and a hazard.
This is because people don't pay attention. Their the cause of the hazard. I'm not going to go 80 just to keep up if the posted limit is 60. It's just as much of a hazard to be going too fast with a trailer in tow. In which case I would be liable if something happens, not so if some dingleberry runs into me.

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 engine. Once in a while I pull a 5000 pound tractor on a trailer or pull a 12 foot livestock trailer. Mostly concerned about pulling a 6000 - 6500 pound Jayco travel trailer down the Interstate at 60 mph which I have done easily with the 5.3. Chevrolet dealer says I should buy the 2.7 engine in a new Silverado. Seems small to me. 5.3 has around 355 horse power while the 2.7 with a turbo has 310. I really question the decision to buy the 2.7 engine. There is hardly any difference in miles per gallon. The 5.3 runs about $1500 more as an individual item. I have viewed a youtube video of the development of the 2.7 and it does look to be a tough engine. Just don't know if it can compete on the interstate. Anyone running a 2.7 and pulling a moderate load? Thank you.
Seems like everyone is focusing on horsepower numbers. Torque is what gets the job done when towing. It would be interesting to see those numbers compared. Peak horsepower is developed at a much higher rpm than peak torque generally. I know nothing about the gm engines. I have though been doing research of my own concerning the Ford 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost engines. I’m planning on replacing my 2012 Ram 2500 5.7 gas in the near future. Ford 2.7 has less horsepower but the same torque. 3.5 has equivalent horsepower and more torque than my Ram. Both have mileage ratings not quite double of my Ram. I have no doubt the 2.7 or 3.5 are the better choice for me.

Please research class action lawsuits.
Here is just one.

General Motors Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over 2.4L Engine Oil Consumption.

Someplace I read another Class action because the 4 cylinder wasn't delivering the mpg as promised.

Another place I read to stay away from 4 cylinder turbo, problems with turbos..

I wouldn't want a turbo, just another thing to repair.

It's your money, do what you want.
You won't talk me into a turbo or a 4 cylinder, period.
We had one of those oil burning four cylinders in a Terrain AWD. The dealership rebuilt the engine , installed a new set of cat converters and fixed the rust on the tailgate . Looked and ran like new.
A couple of weeks later a deer jumped in front while my daughter was driving . Wrote the vehicle off.

What makes more sense hooking up one horse to a plow and working him into the ground. Or using a team of 2 or 3 horses to play with the same plow? just saying.joe
Congratulations on being todays winner of the unequal comparison argument .

What makes more sense hooking up one horse to a plow and working him into the ground. Or using a team of 2 or 3 horses to play with the same plow? just saying.joe
Congratulations on being todays winner of the unequal comparison argument .
I hate these horsepower numbers games. You can't tow a trailer coast to coast at 5.6k rpm's. What is the horsepower and torque rating of the 2 engines in question at 1,8000 - 2,500 rpm's where the truck would normally run at highway speed????
Who would have the gall to imply that the coast to coast trip occurs 5600rpm ?

The horsepower numbers only show part of the picture. Yes, the 5.3 puts out more horsepower at 5600 rpm. But look at the torque specs: The 5.3 puts out 383 foot-pounds at 4100 rpm. But the 2.7 puts out 430 foot-pounds at a mere 1500 rpm!

Generally speaking it's not a great idea to buy a vehicle with a new engine design in its first year of production. I'll note that so far, nobody (including me) has given you what you asked for, which is actual real-world experience with the 2.7.
At those numbers the 2.7 is making 123HP and the 5.3 is developing 298HP. The 5.3 is going the leave the 2.7 behind like it was sitting still.

You will love the ecoboost. Like you said its torque that gets things moving.
who wants to wind them up to get that big horsepower. My ecoboost Mustang will run with the 5.0 until things get illegal.

At those numbers the 2.7 is making 123HP and the 5.3 is developing 298HP. The 5.3 is going the leave the 2.7 behind like it was sitting still.
Are you really serious ?
You should look up facts before replying. You’re not even close in your numbers. Not at all. Perhaps you should do some research. 2019 ecoboost 2.7 325 ho and 400 torque. 3.5 is more and more torque. The old big blocks don’t exist in new vehicles. I’ve had Ram diesels before this and yes they pulled great. 350 chevys, and 454 would touch them. The new smaller gas engines are where it’s at now. If I ever needed to buy another truck to haul a heavy trailer I’d buy a diesel. You said I wasn’t comparing like trucks. I was . Half ton trucks.

Are you really serious ?

You should look up facts before replying. You’re not even close in your numbers. Not at all. Perhaps you should do some research. 2019 ecoboost 2.7 325 ho and 400 torque. 3.5 is more and more torque. The old big blocks don’t exist in new vehicles. I’ve had Ram diesels before this and yes they pulled great. 350 chevys, and 454 would touch them. The new smaller gas engines are where it’s at now. If I ever needed to buy another truck to haul a heavy trailer I’d buy a diesel. You said I wasn’t comparing like trucks. I was . Half ton trucks.
Tier IV diesels are an expensive option to order .
Diesel fuel costs more per gallon than gasoline .

The Tier IV diesels spend so much time in the shop . That school bus fleets, light and medium delivery vehicles . light emergency response vehicles have gone back to gasoline . Such as the Chev 6.6.

Seems like everyone is focusing on horsepower numbers. Torque is what gets the job done when towing.

Torque by itself does absolutely nothing - it has to be delivered at some rate to accomplish work. Torque being delivered at some rate is the very definition of power so regardless of whether it is a race car or farm tractor it is power that is doing the work. This is the whole reason that engines are always classified by their power output, not the peak torque number. In most all cases the engine's peak torque number is largely academic because the gearing in the drivetrain can provide any amount of torque desired to the drive wheels, regardless of what is available at the crankshaft.

The lifter failure tend to occur in vehicles that have missed regular scheduled oil changes . With the owner using the cheapest oil and filter they can find .
That's a true statement the facts are even with dedicated maintenance the cam and lifters are gonna fail. Its not just a chebby issue its a AFM issue you can put on your calendar. Its all the extra junk they use on smaller engines to get that power that are the problem if you choose to repair those issues you marry it. I see it all the time on Fords V6/8 the shop does a timing chain job 3 mo's later the engine blows up. I am not blaming the shop so much as there are so much that can be wrong with the engine that led to replacing the chains. I am not jumping on that wagon you are haft way to putting a new bullet in it pay me now are pay me later.

For the DIY guy these issues are out of your league you will have to pay a man that makes so much money he can blow it on snap-on tools and smile at you with a many thanks : )

140,000 miles on the wife’s 2017 with a 6.2 AFM . No ticking sounds . .
I would HIGHLY recommend you have the valve springs replaced in that 6.2. The springs are prone to breaking, and they drop a valve when it happens. Got one in the shop now with a hole in the cylinder wall. $11K repair.

I would HIGHLY recommend you have the valve springs replaced in that 6.2. The springs are prone to breaking, and they drop a valve when it happens. Got one in the shop now with a hole in the cylinder wall. $11K repair.
Have been thinking about an aftermarket cam, lifters, springs and a Holley intake manifold . Should take her past the 500HP mark.

All this afm bs is the only reason why the turbo 4 is the best choice. I guess it has the stop start system too? Disgusting. The turbo will coke up the oil a little bit at every stop. So new turbo by 100k miles. I sold off a '15 2500hd Silverado with the 6.0, I didn't need the big truck anymore. It was dead nuts reliable, 130k miles, needed brakes twice and regular maintenance. No afm or start stop ridiculousness. Bought a Tacoma V6 manual, no afm or start stop. Maybe not as good on gas or capable as the 1/2 tons, but I won't need expensive repairs and special batteries.

Tier IV diesels are an expensive option to order .
Diesel fuel costs more per gallon than gasoline .

The Tier IV diesels spend so much time in the shop . That school bus fleets, light and medium delivery vehicles . light emergency response vehicles have gone back to gasoline . Such as the Chev 6.6.
Rule #1 of diesel ownership: The initial cost doesn't count because you get it back when you trade/sell the truck.

Rule #2 of diesel ownership: Diesel gets better fuel economy so the fuel cost evens out.

Rule #3 of diesel ownership: Maintenance windows are longer on diesels so the cost evens out.

Have been thinking about an aftermarket cam, lifters, springs and a Holley intake manifold . Should take her past the 500HP mark.
You'll have to install a variable valve timing lock out to install a bigger cam. The stock cam uses up all available space in the cylinder with the VVT. Higher lift cam with VVT operational will lead to valve to piston contact.

There is over 200,00 miles on the turbo of my Grand National . The factory turbo was fine too but I wanted a turbo with more airflow . Synthetic oil and don’t blip the throttle just prior to shutting down .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back