Keith-OR

Well-known Member
I been having fun for the last couple of days, I bought a Drill Doctor (bit sharpener) at an auction Sunday, never been used for $32.00. So far I have sharpened 60+ bits. Sure is a lot easier and faster than doing it on a bench grinder, whole lot more accurate. I'm not as good as I once was on a bench grinder sharpening drill bits, don't do it enough anymore.

Been doing this while I am waiting for parts to come in for my JD 1010 crawler. Hhhhhhhmmmmm ...made it tractor related. lol


Keith
 
I have one here that I have not taken out of the box yet,,I have a bucket full of bits here needing attention..The trouble with free handing them is the center gets off-set. I have another style here that is like the one we used in the old days that worked well then,,it has a pivot style holder that goes against a grinder wheel..I will try to post a pic of it after bit..
 
I have one in my shop, but haven't used it much !! I guess, that I haven't lost the knack of using my bench grinder to sharpening drill bits yet~~~.
Much faster to free hand them.
Loren
 
If I have a bit that's off-center, I chuck it in a drill and run it opposite direction to a grinding wheel. Takes time and a careful and light touch, but works. ...At least it did when I was younger and had patience. Now I'm too crabby to sit still that long. *lol*
 
Ya gotta follow instructions pretty close, took me awhile to get the hang of it. I have a sharpener that mounts on the bench next to the grinder, but I do not always have access to it. It is at the other place and mounted permanently to the bench. I set and watch the tube last nite and sharpened bits.

Keith
 
I've had one for 20 years and have used the h#ll out of it. Got course and fine wheels . Tried masonry bits but they'll eat a wheel up. Got a left handed chuck too. If I ever wear it out I'll buy another .
 
I have one of those others but have never set it up. Bought a drill Dr and no instructions and it wants to grind off center. Need the instructions.
 

For me it is pretty much a once a year project. When I run short of bits I pull it out and spend an hour or so.
 
I've had one forever. When I first got it I couldn't get it to work. Then I took the cover off and threw it away. After I could see what was going on in there I can get it to work perfect.
 
I didn't have instructions either, went on the internet and down loaded manual.
Here is the website for manuals

http://www.drilldoctor.com/drill-doctor-user-guides

Hope this helps..
 
I inherited my Dad's, including the manual and VHS tape of instructions. Now, if I could only find a working VCR...
 
They are nice, I sell the 750X model. They now come with a CD. The older 500 model will sharpen up to 1/2" bits. Setting up the bit in the collet correctly has always been the biggest challenge with customers.
 
(quoted from post at 18:51:41 11/03/17) They are nice, I sell the 750X model. They now come with a CD. The older 500 model will sharpen up to 1/2" bits. Setting up the bit in the collet correctly has always been the biggest challenge with customers.

Yup. I have to watch to make sure I don't push the bit past center when tightening. It's not a Darex, but it's better than my attempts at free handing with my so called "eyesight" these days!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top