New at making hay on shares.

What is a fair share of hay for cutting, tedding,raking, and baling (small squares)?

Landowner has cattle and needs hay. He limes and fertilizes well and pays for all of this.

Hayman furnishes and operates all the equipment. No consideration for picking up and hauling.

Thanks for any ideas and opinions.
 
WOW! you guys are sure nice 50/50 you couldn't find anyone around here to even come out and look your place over for that.
We charge 75/25 or $110 per ton 2 tone per acre minimum. A lot of small pieces we get just for cutting and baling it. People with 5 or 10 acres just want the land cleared for free.
50/50 wouldn't pay the fuel cost this year. $4.00 a gallon fuel will kill you.
Plus all the repairs and the cost of the equipment going up all the time. I payed $165 for a drive belt for my IH 201 Windrower.
Walt
 
My cousin bales round bales on share and they charge 80/20 last year and was talking about they need to raise it. Thats for cut, rake, bale and store. This is in maryland.
 
Generally 1/2 - 2/3 around here, haymaker gets the 2/3, both haul their own. In this case, since landowner fertilizes, would probably offer to haul his 1/3 share in, or go 50-50, roll your own.
 
If your landowner is also a cattleman I think 50/50 would be fair. He has a need for that hay, he isn"t like the land owners I deal with that just have the property, and are looking for economical ways to maintain it. In my case though one property owner lets me use 7-10 acres of old unused pasture, but he has the expense of maintaing the 60+ more acreage that is orchard. So, I feel like I will need to kick something back to him because of todays high cost of doing anything. So, I would think half of the hay sales? What do you think would be fair for 7 to 10 acres "rented"? I don"t know what ag land rent in our area is. I probably need to call the local extension office.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top