Help Finding or Fixing Davis Loader Model 102 Part

thorn197

New User
Hello Everyone,

New tractor owner here. I decided to purchase a 1957 International Harvester 300 Utility with a Davis Hydraulic Loader (model 102). The loader was leaking hydraulic fluid like a sieve from the oil filter housing cover; so I decided to tighter the cover bolt. In the process of tightening, I broke the middle shaft inside the oil filter housing that the cover bolt screws into. It essentially snapped at the base of the oil filter (farthest inside the housing) and covered the garage floor with hydraulic fluid. So a couple questions...

1. Is there a place I can purchase a replacement oil filter housing? Or is this something that someone could possibly weld the pipe/rod?

2. Does anyone know where I can get replacement inner components and what the corresponding model numbers are for those parts (ex. oil filter and gaskets)?

Thank you all!
Jonathon

I would just get a spin on filter base for it and put on in place of the canister and have an easier set up. Then IF the steering works on the 300U I would get the loader off and put on another tractor or find a different tractor with a loader on it. PArts are hard to find for the steering in the 300U and the steering set up was not that robust on them to begin with.

(quoted from post at 03:27:42 08/07/23) I would just get a spin on filter base for it and put on in place of the canister and have an easier set up. Then IF the steering works on the 300U I would get the loader off and put on another tractor or find a different tractor with a loader on it. PArts are hard to find for the steering in the 300U and the steering set up was not that robust on them to begin with.

Thank you for the advice Caterpillar Guy. That makes sense to me. Follow up question to your suggestion. Is there a particular base and filter setup that you would recommend with this loader? I see that my local Tractor Supply has a "25 Micron Hydraulic Filter with Housing Assembly" in stock. But not sure if that can handle the pressure and not sure which filter to purchase. Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I don't know a lot about hydraulic systems.

You're actually the second person that has brought up the power steering concern with this tractor model. The power steering is functional. That was one reason I chose this tractor. I'll probably use her for the time being and keep an eye out for a good deal before selling. I'm planning on predominantly using the tractor for the rear PTO and mowing CRP.. so hopefully the power steering hangs in there!

Thanks again!

(quoted from post at 09:37:16 08/07/23)
(quoted from post at 03:27:42 08/07/23) I would just get a spin on filter base for it and put on in place of the canister and have an easier set up. Then IF the steering works on the 300U I would get the loader off and put on another tractor or find a different tractor with a loader on it. PArts are hard to find for the steering in the 300U and the steering set up was not that robust on them to begin with.

Thank you for the advice Caterpillar Guy. That makes sense to me. Follow up question to your suggestion. Is there a particular base and filter setup that you would recommend with this loader? I see that my local Tractor Supply has a "25 Micron Hydraulic Filter with Housing Assembly" in stock. But not sure if that can handle the pressure and not sure which filter to purchase. Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I don't know a lot about hydraulic systems.

You're actually the second person that has brought up the power steering concern with this tractor model. The power steering is functional. That was one reason I chose this tractor. I'll probably use her for the time being and keep an eye out for a good deal before selling. I'm planning on predominantly using the tractor for the rear PTO and mowing CRP.. so hopefully the power steering hangs in there!

Thanks again!

That filter is on the suction side of the pump isn't it? if so pressure won't be a problem. If it is on the suction side, you do not want to fine of a micron rating, I think the originals were about 20 microns. And it should say it is for use in a suction application.

I'm currently not at home to look at the pump, but I did find an owners manual on tractor club that shows the oil filter housing setup.

The manual I physically have is much more basic, but it does say that it takes a Wix-CW-10 filter. It also says "Attach 1 1/4" X 53" suction hose from pump to filter" in the assembly instructions. So it must be the suction port. The oil filter housing also has a side port that connects to the loader frame where the hydraulic fluid reservoir is integrated.

Any good parts guy at a good parts house, should be able to hook you up with an appropriate filter and base for it, and it would want to be on the suction side with ports sized accordingly so as to not starve the pump of oil.

(quoted from post at 12:19:51 08/07/23) Any good parts guy at a good parts house, should be able to hook you up with an appropriate filter and base for it, and it would want to be on the suction side with ports sized accordingly so as to not starve the pump of oil.

I made a trip to my local Case, New Holland, and Bobcat dealers today after work. All were Agco parts dealers and understood what I was looking to do, but unfortunately none had parts that could help me. I ended up going to Northern Tool and found a base that looks like it will do the trick. The port holes on the new base are slightly larger (1.25" vs 1.00"), but seems negligible. Better to be slightly bigger than smaller is my thinking. I got it all plumbed in and just need to add the filter and fluid.

I'm more concerned about a couple other things than the port size. The corresponding filter that I bought from Northern is a 10 micron filter. I'm wondering if the micron size is too small and could add stress to the pump? Should I try and find a different filter? The filter is huge too.

Also, the old filter housing was horizontal; whereas this filter will have to be vertical below the base. As a result, the filter will take a few inches of clearance away from the tractor. Unfortunately the loader frame, steering linkage, and hydraulic lines prevent me from being able to turn the filter another direction. Maybe I should search around for a filter that is not as tall. If the 10 microns isn't a big deal, I'll probably roll with the filter I have and try to find something a little more low profile the new change.

Post a photo of the filter housing/what broke, it's most likely repairable, which would be a GOOD thing , as it is quite a unique part that has to match up and fit in a specific area.

If you bought a ''make it fit'' ''replacement'' from Northern Tool you likely paid DEARLY for it.

(quoted from post at 22:09:16 08/07/23)
Post a photo of the filter housing/what broke, it's most likely repairable, which would be a GOOD thing , as it is quite a unique part that has to match up and fit in a specific area.

If you bought a ''make it fit'' ''replacement'' from Northern Tool you likely paid DEARLY for it.

Well now you got me even more nervous! While I do respect your opinion (Wore Out), can you elaborate on why? I will submit a picture later tonight. The guy at the parts department at CASE seemed to strongly agree with the approach of modernizing the system. I showed him the existing setup and he said I would have to have a replacement machined. I know very little about welding or machining parts, so not sure if it's doable. He also said the filters are no longer manufactured.

That said, the old "sock" filter I took out is probably 40+ years old. So the micron size on the sock is probably less than 1 at this point! The manual says the filter system allowed 20 GPM. I can't even get the sock filter anymore (to my knowledge). The replacement filter suggested for the WIX-CW-10 (filter specified in the owners manual) is the WIX 51010.. which has a micron rating of 25 or 32 depending on the website you read the specs. I think I am just going to try and find a filter with a 25 micron filter system that screws onto the Northern Part I plumbed in (versus the 10 micron that I purchased). The one other big concern on switching to the modern system is the old filter housing has a screen that surrounds the filter. The screen is like a 400-600 micron filter in advance of the sock filter. There were some very large chunks of sludge and crud on the outer portion of the screen that would certainly clog a modern filter. I don't necessarily think this will be a problem going forward with annual oil changes.

Just for those who may be curious. The part numbers I bought at Northern are below:

Buyers Hydraulic Return Filter Assembly 50 GPM Return/15 GPM Suction, Up to 150 PSI, Model# HFA21015

Buyers Hydraulic Replacement Element Fits Buyers HFA2 and FHA3 Series Hydraulic Filters, Model# U3L3FE

The parts manual for the Davis 102 Loader can be found on tractor club reference 1190

The owners manual for the Davis 102 Loader can be found on
tractor club reference 1183

The manual I have is slightly different and is specific to the International 300 utility. The manual I have says the filter is a wix-cw-10. Whereas the reference above does not mention a replacement filter period. It just says to clean the filter after every 60 hours of use. I would post direct URLs, but apparently the forum will not let me include URLs.

This post was edited by thorn197 on 08/08/2023 at 07:23 am.

So I cross referenced the Northern Tool oil filter to Baldwin and it came back with the BT287-10 filter; which has a micron rating of 9.8 nominal and 27 absolute. However, I found out there is a regular BT287 filter (without the dash 10 on the model) that has a nominal micron rating of 23 Nominal and 45 Absolute. I purchased and installed that filter last night. I used the loader for some light duty work for about an hour and everything seemed to be functioning as expected. I guess time will tell. If for some reason things go wrong at some point, I'll update my post. I'll probably eventually get the original setup repaired since it is unique and really a beautiful part of the setup. For now, I just need a functional machine though. Thank you everyone for the input and guidance!

Jonathon

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back