Help with Kohler toilet problem

I have one of those "modern" 1.? gallon one piece toilets and it has a smell problem. I wash out the tank and scrubbed the bowl and the (musty)smell goes away for a week or two.
Then, the water tuens grey and the smell returns. Yes, the surrounding area is clean. Scrubbed it on my hand and knees with bleach.

I know that the water lines are clean and I get very clear water in all of the other fixtures.
So, I would sure appreciate any advice as to what it causing the stink.
thanks
 
It sounds like there is some place, hidden, that is harboring bacteria or something. Maybe try adding Clorox to the tank with every flush for a day or so. Might kill it off. I know the well drill people have Clorox tablets, but not sure if they are a slow release type.

Gene
 
This may be way off, but does the water disperse evenly under the rim, cleaning off the waste after each use. Boy I'll tell you, some people don't realize how much spray gets on the surrounding area of a toilet by this half of the gender, it soaks into tile joints and also creates an odor that can be hard to get rid of. Corrodes radiators, metal partitions, in the last few years of doing some repair work to keep busy, I've seen a lot of bathrooms that are cramped and hard to clean.

I've had a similar problem, no change in water though, new toilet on concrete floor in garage, concrete has capillaries and it can absorb, took a good cleaning, no slobs in the house either, this one gets cleaned 1x week and always wiped down with a cleaning spray daily, as does the floor 1x week and for a while this urine like odor would not go away, warmer weather never figured it out, just cleaned, disinfected, solvents on the concrete, finally gone. Seemed like it came out of nowhere, thought the stack vent was clogged or there was another source, can't stand a filthy bathroom that is for sure.

One of my customers tenant space had that problem, had to pull the toilet and take the tile up, was a police substation, lot of traffic, sometimes these odors come from years of saturation like at this place, no amount of cleaning would have solved this one.

Have never heard of the water turning like that, maybe you can get it tested.
 
They make a Clorox product about the size of a hockey puck. Put it in the tank, slow release - lasts a week or two here. Works for us - you can smell the chlorine in the bathroom. Not over powering, but seems to work well keeping stains in bowl down, and smelling fresh.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top