Here's one for the experts

RedMF40

Home-made? For sale not too far from me. Fairly skeletal remains of whatever it was.
F2E3F526-EB45-4A45-92F9-A577363D040B.jpeg
84249E48-D3AD-49A7-84AB-FAAA7179C03F.jpeg

Okay, here's what I see. Apparently the engine was used on a Novo pump. Novo once made hit and miss engines. By this time, they may have
been using a more common engine such as B & S, Wisconsin, Tecumseh, or Lawson. I don't know them that well.
The basic frame is from a Model T Ford, with the rearend facing forward. The engine is mounted on a sliding mount, and a linkage back to the
driver tightens or loosens the Vee-belt like a clutch with a lever at the driver's position. I only see that the speeds can be varied by moving the Vee-belt between the different grooves in the pulleys. I don't see a reverse. The driveline rearwards from the engine is a Model A Ford with one end chopped off, and the driven pulley attached to the drive pinion.. This will give a reduction of about 4 to one. The differential will have been locked up, probably by welding the spider gears. At the rear, the power goes into a Model T Ford rear axle which has been narrowed and roller chain sprockets attached. The ratio is something like 3 to 1.
I don't exactly see any brakes, but there may have been something there. The rear wheels are cast iron horse-drawn haymower wheels with larger
roller chains sprockets attached. They also have lugs attached to give more traction. The driver's seat seems to be missing. It might have come from the same horse mower. The steering gear seems to be from perhaps a 1937-38 Ford. There may have been wooden running boards which have rotted away. There appears to be a small single furrow plow in back, probably raised or lowered by the left-hand lever.
Somewhere there must have been a throttle control and an on/off switch. In front we have a Model T front axle and spindles which has been
heated and bent into an upsidedown U. Then cut and welded at the center pivot to give the right track-width. The front wheels are made from
Model T Ford hubs with the wooden spokes removed. Each wheel has 3 flat metal spokes bolted to the rims, perhaps 12 inch rake wheels, or whatever. The inner ends are bolted between the two halves of the Model T hubs.
There used to be thousands of these doodlebugs around the country. Many were stripped of parts and scrapped. They illustrate the handiwork
of some 1940's high school shop student, or some backyard mechanic's creation.

cdmn, great information! Remember the George Jones song “Whose going to fill their shoes” I am not a Ford guy, my grandpa had mostly GM stuff so most of his kids followed suit and so on. I do know he had a 36 Ford car, because the remnants of the body are or were out in the pasture. I am 61 and of course mechanical minded and have at least some interest in old stuff, obviously because I hang out here. I could have probably told you that those were Ford rear ends but no way I could have told you one is from a T and the other an A. I would only been able to tell you that because the home built post hole digger grandpa had we used for years was made using some type of Ford rear end. It could have very well been from the 36. I recently found out that a “shoot from the hip” method to distinguish between a Model T and a Model A is the T had wood spoke wheel where the A had wire spoke. The point of mentioning the song is once folks like yourself are gone who’s is going to know this kind of stuff? Sure a lot of it is written down or of course here on the web, but… I just learned that a family that put on one of the nearby tractor shows is discontinuing the show. On the property where they have the show there is at least five big sheds 60 to 100 ft long and all at least 40 wide that are full of antique equipment. These are built with lumber from the sawmill on the property. Of course there are multiple other smaller buildings and lean-tos off the big sheds full of all kinds of other vintage stuff, parts, other general farm items and household goods. My question is what will happen to it? I suppose eventually it will fade away into history as most stuff from the 1800s has. Some folks couldn’t give two craps about stuff like this.

someone was building his own one bottom plow tractor. i recognized them rear horse mower wheels with the lugs added on. maybe had to walk behind it like the walking plows as there is no seat. maybe not enough power for a rider, lol.

Okay, here's what I see. Apparently the engine was used on a Novo pump. Novo once made hit and miss engines. By this time, they may have
been using a more common engine such as B & S, Wisconsin, Tecumseh, or Lawson. I don't know them that well.
The basic frame is from a Model T Ford, with the rearend facing forward. The engine is mounted on a sliding mount, and a linkage back to the
driver tightens or loosens the Vee-belt like a clutch with a lever at the driver's position. I only see that the speeds can be varied by moving the Vee-belt between the different grooves in the pulleys. I don't see a reverse. The driveline rearwards from the engine is a Model A Ford with one end chopped off, and the driven pulley attached to the drive pinion.. This will give a reduction of about 4 to one. The differential will have been locked up, probably by welding the spider gears. At the rear, the power goes into a Model T Ford rear axle which has been narrowed and roller chain sprockets attached. The ratio is something like 3 to 1.
I don't exactly see any brakes, but there may have been something there. The rear wheels are cast iron horse-drawn haymower wheels with larger
roller chains sprockets attached. They also have lugs attached to give more traction. The driver's seat seems to be missing. It might have come from the same horse mower. The steering gear seems to be from perhaps a 1937-38 Ford. There may have been wooden running boards which have rotted away. There appears to be a small single furrow plow in back, probably raised or lowered by the left-hand lever.
Somewhere there must have been a throttle control and an on/off switch. In front we have a Model T front axle and spindles which has been
heated and bent into an upsidedown U. Then cut and welded at the center pivot to give the right track-width. The front wheels are made from
Model T Ford hubs with the wooden spokes removed. Each wheel has 3 flat metal spokes bolted to the rims, perhaps 12 inch rake wheels, or whatever. The inner ends are bolted between the two halves of the Model T hubs.
There used to be thousands of these doodlebugs around the country. Many were stripped of parts and scrapped. They illustrate the handiwork
Well, to say I'm impressed would be a colossal understatement! A fine dissection of a backyard creation, very rich in detail. I actually thought it might be a purpose-built tractor, some oddball that was available for a time. I imagine it had a seat although I don't see a place for it. Can't say I like the idea of walking behind it with a plow digging at my heels. No room for error. And if you have 850 one-dollar bills you never want to see again, this could be yours. Might make a good yard ornament for someone, "for every bone there's a dog," as they say.
Thanks for all the great info.
Gerrit

CDMN, That's all fine info but, can you tell us what the original paint color was?

Just kidding, I am amazed at your info.

That was very well thought. I arrived at those same conclusions and was going to comment, but you placed more identification and certainty in your post. I don't think it had much variability in speed choices nor any possible reverse. Thanks. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back