Hesston 1010 haybine + PT10 parts

I picked up a Hesston 1010 haybine on a local auction knowing that it needed quite a bit of work. I have more time than money right now so I figured it would be a good project. It's been worked hard and not cared for very well but it fit the budget.

The pitman has broken and been welded several times. The reel center tube is cracked and will need welding or more likely replacing.

I have a PT7 in good shape except for the broken metal roller, for a parts machine. I also have access locally to a couple of PT10's

It looks to me like the pitman, bell crank and cutter head are the same on all three machines. The parts catalog says they take the same cutter head and bar.

Anyone ever used PT10 parts to repair a 1010? Any problem areas to watch for on the 1010 besides the usual bearings and timing issues?
cvphoto92784.jpg

cvphoto92785.jpg

cvphoto92786.jpg

cvphoto92787.jpg

Never was around one before. It does look like the culprit to the pitman arm breakage is that counter weight hitting the arm as it swings back and forth. Looks to me like if the universal connection gets a bit loose it can do just that and may have been in the past, or it is to long.

It's been many years, close to 40, but make sure you read the book before you replace the pitman bearing in the first picture. It's made special so that it has a little more clearance than standard and you need to get the clearance centered before you tighten everything. I don't remember much about it other than it wasn't difficult, but necessary, if you didn't want to replace the bearing again very shortly.

Thanks Willow Lane. I just checked the manual and it does have a detailed adjustment process for the pitman bearing installation. Will follow closely.

Thanks caterpillar guy. Good point on the counter weight. It does look like the breaks in the pitman correspond to where the counter weight would hit if it was out of tolerance. Looking closer at the picture I also see that one of the u joints is cracked. It looks like the sickle drive needs to be completely rebuilt. I am hoping my pt7 parts will do the job.

On my PT7, where the angle iron is welded on in your first picture, mine is threaded rod for adjustment. Mine broke where the ujoint carrier and rod connect.

(quoted from post at 12:18:21 06/25/21) On my PT7, where the angle iron is welded on in your first picture, mine is threaded rod for adjustment. Mine broke where the ujoint carrier and rod connect.

Yeah, they deleted the adjustment for the pitman completely. the whole mechanism needs to be rebuilt. The counter weight on the 1010 is heavier than the pt7 to balance the heavier load of the 9 foot sickle but it looks like most of the other pt7 parts will work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back