hey old...hot pepper ??'s

glennster

rich, i know you grow hot peppers for salsa's and stuff, and by request, friends wanted some hot peppers this year. i have jalapeno, chili,habanero, carribean red and scotchbonnet orange seeds started. i have plot picked out along my woods for the hot garden to keep them away from our sweet peppers. if these are all in the same garden patch, will they cross pollinate and bring the heat up to the hottest plants or will they keep about the same heat range? the two hottest varietys are the scotchbonnet and the carribean reds, they are way hotter than the habenero.

I have planted Tabasco, Jalapeno Chili and one other type of hot pepper side by side and have never had a problem with them mixing. I have also plants hot peppers right next to sweet peppers and had no problems. The only problem I ever had was when I planted banana peppers side by side with the jalapeno peppers then is when you get a hot sweet banana pepper. Oh and by the way is you have chickens throw a few hot peppers in to them and doing so will help increase the egg production

My understanding of this kindof thing is that the fruit will not be altered by cross pollination, but if you were to trying to save some of the seed, next years fruit would be a hybrid.
I have been wrong before though. Once;-)

Ben

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back