Hiesler power steering

DeltaRed

I just bought a parts M(1951) with Hiesler PS. the unit is installed above the gas tank. I want to put it on my good SuperM. But I dont want that big obnoxious thing out in the open,nor the hoses laying all
over the place. Question is: will the torque generator fit under the hood like a Charlynn does? Thanks.Btw,the parts tractor also has a Kosch Anti kickback steering wheel,Lambert disk brakes'an M/W hydralic
pump;like new factory made 3 point,wide front,new rear tires....Engine runs good but clutch is out and one rea wheel is broken. All for 500. :)

I wouldn't want it on top of Gas tank either,sounds like a fixer upper, i will give you a rear wheel, after the snow leaves!

I believe Behlen is the manufacturer of the PS unit you have, I do not think Heisler offered a power steering system but I may be wrong. Behlen produced the steering units first installed on the Super Ms from the factory. They fit up under the hood on the 400s but I think they had more room between the steering shaft and the center hood piece than an M - Super M.

Thanks for the offer. I have a rearwheel from a junk SMTA carcase.Been thinging about takeing the 'new' parts M and useing it to rebuild the SMTA. Also have a 400 rear end. Between all three,I think I could makeup a frankenstien SMTA.

I have a Behlen PS unit on my frankenstien MD/400 with an F11 Farmhand loader.It is under the 400 front half hood. It steers as easy as the 56 series tractors.Even with a fully loaded bucket.

I've seen a LOT of Super M's with power steering but they were ALL owner installed after-market, either Char-Lynn or Behlen, the only 2 companies that made power steering back then.
The first factory installed power steering, installed AT FARMALL was the Behlen put on 300&400 as an added cost option. It was a more common option on the 350 & 450, but was STILL an option.
Dad put a Char-lynn PS on his '51 M sometime in the early/mid 1950's, the Saginaw pump & reservoir is tucked way up high just ahead of the exhaust manifold. That M was our loader tractor and that PS was what allowed me to drive that tractor at 5-6-7 years old. Dad traded his '47 M off on a Super M-TA about 1962, first thing he did was install Char-Lynn PS with the governor mounted pump & reservoir, the one that always cracked for some reason, maybe belt too tight. It was traded for a 450 gas spring of 1965, which had Behlen PS. I cultivated a little corn with the SM-TA and a 455 IH cultivator, turning on headlands was no problem, or on headlands when plowing. The 450 with Behlen ps had a 461 cultivator, might have weighed 50 pounds more than the 455, and the 450 turned on headlands just fine. A Deere 4010 diesel with WFE replaced the 450. Both the MTA & 450 took 4 rows and pivot turned to take the NEXT 4 rows back. 4010 I had to take 4, skip 4 and take rows 5 thru 8. I LAYED into the inside brake one time and it drug the inside rear wheel over 2-3 rows in a big arc and wiped out a dozen, maybe more hills of corn. I only did THAT once! A 6 row 30or 38 cultivator would have been fine. Dad was stubborn, He'd only plant 8 endrows, 2 rounds, 12 rows would have let me turn the 4010 and take the next 4 rows, When I plowed for the Neighbor with his 4320 & 5-14 F-145 semi-mounted plow I left wide headlands, about 6-8 rows. Dad would try to keep me down to 4, even with the 4-14 Case trailing plow with the Midwest plow harrow.

Sorry, Dr. I thought that some of the later Super Ms came out of the factory with power steering. Do you know did IH offer an upgrade kit to install the Behlen system on an earlier tractor?

If the rear shaft out of unit is one piece with a steering wheel mount. Shaft would need cut and keyway added to mount ahead of middle steering support like tractors that used it at that location. It would mount but not clear a M hood without modification. 300 trough 450 tractors hood lines higher above steering support.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back