Homemade Tool of the Day

Southern Ray

If you have or have access to a hole hawg you can make a mighty respectable posthole auger.
This one consist of a discarded 7 1/4" circular saw blade bolted onto a 1/2" thread rod.
The tooth is cut with a cutoff wheel mounted on an angle grinder. It is then bent to shape.
The length of the point is determined by the soil condition. A longer point is needed for wet and mucky soil.
For damp sandy soil a shorter point will suffice.
It does have two side negatives.
It will not drill into hard pan soil. You will still need a regular posthole digger to bust through to damp earth.
The second is overcoming the urge to become too aggressive. It will dig! You still must pull it out of the hole with a load of dirt.
I dug the holes for these fence post in about 15 minutes each. The post are 8 footers set 46" into the ground.
a250528.jpg

a250529.jpg

that was my thought. It would NOT work around this part of VA. I get ten gallons of rock out of every five gallon hole.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back