Horse drawn Oliver plow ?

ScottNC

Found in the woods while squirrel hunting yesterday: Cast plow point(?) for a horse drawn plow? Cast iron with OLIVER in raised letters followed by the inset letters RB and 19BSN. There is a raised character of a horse drawn plow as well. I am not fluent in plows so bear with me; it appears this piece bolts to the moldboard via a single plow bolt. There is a cavity at the point to accept a sacrificial point that might have been held in with a tapered pin.

Sound familiar to anyone? FWIW, this piece is remarkably intact.

An online search turned up two sites selling used and repo antique plow parts with pictures of various makers plow points. No Oliver's that matched this though. Don't know if this one is something that someone into horse drawn plows could use?

That is a cast iron point for a #19 Oliver. The share and shin is one piece and is held into place with a special single square recessed head. My dad had a #13 which cur about 9.5 inches, The #19 was larger. The cast iron shares were better for soil that was not too sticky . When I was small my dad had a #13 and sold it to his nephew who returned from WW2. I have a collection of old shares including #13, #1- and a smaller one that was called a Goober and was intended for use with one horse. A #19 needed two strong horses or there common horses. The cast iron , or chilled plowshares were disposable when dulled . I have heard of them being ground for sharpening, but few farmers has a grinder big enough for the job. and a few chipped the edge with a claw hammer.

(quoted from post at 17:10:01 02/27/20) That is a cast iron point for a #19 Oliver. The share and shin is one piece and is held into place with a special single square recessed head. My dad had a #13 which cur about 9.5 inches, The #19 was larger. The cast iron shares were better for soil that was not too sticky . When I was small my dad had a #13 and sold it to his nephew who returned from WW2. I have a collection of old shares including #13, #1- and a smaller one that was called a Goober and was intended for use with one horse. A #19 needed two strong horses or there common horses. The cast iron , or chilled plowshares were disposable when dulled . I have heard of them being ground for sharpening, but few farmers has a grinder big enough for the job. and a few chipped the edge with a claw hammer.

Any idea what time period it might be from? It was astride an old, overgrown field access road in a creek bottom. Have two locals, 69 and 75 year old that know of the bottoms the access road once led to but are too young to remember when they were last farmed. The main road the field access once connected to was raised and a culvert installed before either was born. Now it dead ends against the 15' high road berm.

Need to take a metal detector through there. The rest of the plows bits may be laying there hidden.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back