Jim Patterson: if they are wet sleeves, I personall would pull them. I was surprised at the amount of rust sludge I find in the sleeve areas. Pulling the sleeves allows the tanking process to better remove that sludge.

If you are to that point, why not take the sleeves out? Even if you don't have a sleeve puller, they can still be removed with a block of hard wood like oak and a hammer.
 
If you are using a true hot tank with lye (sodium or potassium hydroxide) you will lose your cam bearings. Anything containing copper, or aluminum will dissolve, this includes babbitt bearings. Just a heads up. Caustic soda is cheap if you can get ahold of it, drain-o contains potassium and sodium hydroxide which can be use in homemade hot tanks.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top