hot water heater short......

glennster

had a tenant call , no hot water. went over to check, wow, so much for a 5 year old bradford white water heater. toasted the lower element controls. good thing it didnt start a fire, breaker tripped apparently in time. hey john t....wha happened??? looks like all the ions fell out.

<a href="http://s121.photobucket.com/user/glennster_01/media/IMG_02461_zps0f7f3b36.jpg.html" target="_blank">
IMG_02461_zps0f7f3b36.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_02461_zps0f7f3b36.jpg"
</a>

<a href="http://s121.photobucket.com/user/glennster_01/media/IMG_02471_zps86359698.jpg.html" target="_blank">
IMG_02471_zps86359698.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMG_02471_zps86359698.jpg"
</a>

Lower element is probably still good. Lower thermostat brobably had burned contacts and caused thermostat to burn up. Lower thermostat also gets water in them if the top element leaks any arpund gasket.

Did you already pull it? Shouldn"t this be under warranty? I believe they give 7 years for the tank, don"t know about the electrical. Either way, should be easy to fix if no damage to the tank.

Good thing you had the cover on it to contain the fire.

Agree, bad contacts = lots of heat.

I recently has a light bulb explode when I turned the switch on, tripped breaker. The bulb was the hi-efficiency florcent type. Lucky it wasn't an exposed bulb. In an enclosed fixture. Had to pitch the fixture. Never would have gotten the smell out not to mention hot plastic went all over.

Had to replace my shorts too.

George

No repair done now everything get thrown out.20.00 max for new parts.Water heaters are good until the tank leaks.Installing new heater requires plumbing permit and inspection in most places.

I fixed a hot water heater for a friend once. The complaints was that the water was too hot (steamy actually) and that the owner was getting a tingle when washing her hands.

Turned out that the lower element was shorted to the water. Since only one side of the 240V hot was switched, the other side was returning to ground through the water.

Really weird.

Cliff(VA)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back