hours on proofmeter

DCrocker

New User
The hour meter on the proofmeter of a new to me Ford 850 hasn't moved since I got the tractor. The needle moves and seems to correspond to the engine rpm, but the hours haven't changed. I use the tractor for mostly light work at low rpm. Does the hour meter only move at higher rpms?

It is a 1955 Ford 850.
 
It should move at low RPMS, just slowly. To quote from the Operator's manual "Engine Hours: The hour meter portion of the Proof-Meter represents the hours your tractor engine has "worked," based on an average engine speed of 1515 revolution per minute. Engine speeds below 1515 revolutions accumulate hours more slowly than clock hours, and those above 1515 R.P.M register faster than clock hours."

I think yours is broken.
 
there is a gear inside that moves the numbers....must not be meshing or rusted out. Hour meters are cheap and electrical if you need one. New proofmeter is a bit more
 
New proofmeter is 60-70 bucks.

You can try and get your old one working too. There is some pictorials on this forum if you search you may find them.
 
(quoted from post at 18:43:27 08/31/09) The hour meter on the proofmeter of a new to me Ford 850 hasn't moved since I got the tractor. The needle moves and seems to correspond to the engine rpm, but the hours haven't changed. I use the tractor for mostly light work at low rpm. Does the hour meter only move at higher rpms?

It is a 1955 Ford 850.

DCroker,

Here is a photo album of the proofmeter I repaired on my 971. Took some time, but it's still working some 80+ hours later. Mind you, mine was simply siezed, so I just had to take it apart, clean it up and put it back together. If you click on a photo, it will enlarge and on most I have attached a message or explaination. I should add, to take it entirely apart, you have to break the beveled end off of the shaft and fabricate a different way to secure it when you put it back together. Not bad though.


proofmeter pics

Chris
 
Thanks for the reply guys. I pulled the proofmeter and was able to get the hours to change using a small driver bit in a drill. I'll check the cable, but suspect it was not fully seated into the proofmeter.

Dan
 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I pulled the cable off the old proofmeter, and reattached it; no change. I purchased a new proofmeter and hooked it up, everything is working fine now.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top