House bound dad

37chief

My wife has been home one week, from over two weeks in the hospital from her bladder removal surgery. She can't be left alone very long, but is recovering slow. Every day I see an improvement, she can walk around the house now with out a walker, or cane. It's surprising what you can do when you need to. I have figured out how the washing machine works. I haven't folded clothes since I left the Navy. I even know how to use the dish washer, but I wash a lot by hand. People from our church bring us meals every couple days. For breakfast I can make some great scrambled eggs and toast. Glad I don't have any more mowing jobs now. What did you say dear? You want a glass of water, be right there. Duty calls. Stan

Hey, good on ya. Around here we share ALL the duties. I worked my construction business and she worked as a nurse (longest serving at local hospital) and raised 2 great kids - both successful. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope the recovery goes well. As we age, it takes a little longer. ;^)

Bet she would do the same for you if needed. Take care of that lady and be blessed and thankful for the outside help. Wish you both the best.

When my wife's Dad died I asked her if she needed me to do anything. She said just take care myself and don't bother her. So I picked up after myself, dirty clothes in the hamper, make my own meals, put used dishes in the dishwasher. That worked good until Tuesday. That's when the dishwasher got full. I don't know how to run it. Never had to. I don't know where the soap is, I don't know where the on button is. Don't want to bother her. She's doing important things. So I did what any one of you would have done. I went to town and bought another dishwasher. Problem solved.

My wife rarely gets out of the house. Usually to a Dr. appt. I have been chief cook and bottle washer for the last few years but I can leave for three or four hours as she does get around the house. She often comments that she is no help for anything anymore and I just tell her that was part of the deal we made 64 years ago. Can go either way. Cooking isn't bad for us but when the kids come home it gets really difficult to think up things that they will eat.

Sounds like your wife is doing well considering what she has been through and on the road to recovery. I will be different now for both of you but I am sure you will work through it.

That's an old school, real man for you.....Can't read the instructions to turn the dishwasher on, but can buy, and install a new one without the instructions.....LOL.....

I hope all goes well for your wife, Chief (good healing,with no recurrence of cancer and for her to adjust to the changes/challenges she faces).

Have got you both on my list... as I know it's tough for the care-giving spouse too.

Sounds like you are doing just fine with household stuff. Keep up the good work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back