How big is your rod?

SharpTJ

Member
No, not THAT rod....

I just replaced the clutch in my 2N (was really much easier than I anticipated). Everything back together but the clutch doesn't have enough throw in it... I can't use a strap to pull the lever back and the clutch works fine.

Even with the rod adjusted as short as it will go, it will still not let let the tractor roll... It barely engages the clutch if at all.

Seems like the lever on the side of the tractor has rotated on the shaft somehow or someone has used the incorrect length rod... [/list]
 
(quoted from post at 22:12:19 03/02/19) No, not THAT rod....

I just replaced the clutch in my 2N (was really much easier than I anticipated). Everything back together but the clutch doesn't have enough throw in it... I can't use a strap to pull the lever back and the clutch works fine.

Even with the rod adjusted as short as it will go, it will still not let let the tractor roll... It barely engages the clutch if at all.

Seems like the lever on the side of the tractor has rotated on the shaft somehow or someone has used the incorrect length rod... [/list]

The pin that locates the lever on the shaft has a nasty habit of shearing. Get down close and personal and you can see it move on the shaft.

TOH
 
Sharp T3,Like TheOldHokie said the pin could be missing or sheared,or the arm could be bent to the rear when it should be straight.
 
(quoted from post at 04:43:49 03/03/19) Is the clutch disk in backwards?

The arm is tight and doesn't rotate on shaft at all.

I thought baout the disk being backwards, but the clutch wouldn't EVER engage if it was backwards, would it? I out it in the same way as the old one, but I guess the old one might have been backwards also.
 
(quoted from post at 11:26:05 03/03/19)
(quoted from post at 04:43:49 03/03/19) Is the clutch disk in backwards?

The arm is tight and doesn't rotate on shaft at all.

I thought baout the disk being backwards, but the clutch wouldn't EVER engage if it was backwards, would it? I out it in the same way as the old one, but I guess the old one might have been backwards also.

Does not sound like you have the disc in backwards. Next point of failure in the linkage is the pin that holds the release fork to the clutch shaft. Same story but to inspect/service it you have to have the tractor split :cry:

TOH
 
(quoted from post at 12:06:59 03/03/19)
I looked at everything inside the case and everything looked great and tight and surprisingly clean.
Sounds like you missed something, we all do that from time to time.
 

I wouldn't doubt it.. Guess I'll break it apart again and take another look.


Just second guessing myself now... Which way should the clutch plate face? We noticed the pressure plate didn't quite "reach" the face of the flywheel (maybe 1/4" or so).

This is really the 1st clutch I have done myself and just thought that was the way it was supposed to be.
 
"

"install the clutch disc with long side of the disc hub away from the flywheel"

As stated in FO-4 service manual.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top