How do I do that?

BalatonMN

New User
I need some help. I'm trying to pull the head off of the engine on my 981d. I've got every thing of of it and all of the bolts out but the seal wont brake. The manual says to "Carfully lift valve head from block." Is it poasible that there mey still be pressure in the cilinder, and if so, how do I release it withb out recing any thing?
Thanks for any help
Balatonm
 
It's probably just stuck on the dowels. Take a screw driver or prybar and hammer and tap at the seam between the head and block. shouldn't be too hard to get loose like that. you could also stick a hammer handle in the exhaust/intake ports and pry it up there too.
 
carefull driving anything between the head and deck.. don't want to scratch anything.

The handle in the exhaust /intake ports sounds like a winner though..

soundguy
 
Safe way to pop them lose is this. Put about half the head bolts back in. Not tight but enough to keep the head from flying off, then crank the engine over. The compression from the engine will pop it free and then no need to maybe scratch the head or block. My dad told me a story a long time back about doing that to a car and having the head fly off and land in the back seat of his car, soft top by the way with the top down
Hobby farm
 
Please take the time to make sure all the bolts are out!
I saw a ford 172 diesel advertised recently that the gentleman thought he had all the bolts out, pulled the bolts for the rocker shaft right out of the head - with a big chunk of the block too!
So take that extra minute and make sure you have all bolts out before you apply brute force.
Brian
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top